Renting with reptiles

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been caught in the rental cycle for too long now but have never had problems with getting a lease or with real estate agents inspections. I have always been up front with putting reptiles as pets on the lease application.

There was a previous tenant in the same building that was evicted for stinking up the underground parking lot with a rodent breeding colony he had in the garage.

Cheers
Octane

Its not a pet are you that stupid i know for a fact they are a hobby my brother is a licenced nsw realestate agent

Last edited by a moderator:
Its not a pet are you that stupid i know for a fact they are a hobby my brother is a licenced nsw realestate agent

Need to take it down a bit mate. Im glad you feel so strong about your "hobby" and dont regard any of you reptiles as "pets" and just items to you have in your hobby.

Does your brother have any documentation to back up your claim that reptiles are not pets? I believe people have tried to say they are a hobby to get away with keeping them against a "no pet" rental agreement and lost the disagreement.

Rick

I regard all my animals as pets ill see what i can do ill speak to him tomorrow

No im not I rang my real estate today and they said" as its not human its regarded as a pet weather its a fish, bird, cat, dog, rabit, reptile or butterfly its classed as a pet" I would have to let them know and they would advise the landlord and he or she would then decide and thats rain and horne in victoria.
The reason I said ppl say its a pet is because I dont know anyone that say im going to get a hobby snake they say im going to get a pet snake.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

No im not I rang my real estate today and they said" as its not human its regarded as a pet weather its a fish, bird, cat, dog, rabit, reptile or butterfly its classed as a pet" I would have to let them know and they would advise the landlord and he or she would then decide and thats rain and horne in victoria.
The reason I said ppl say its a pet is because I dont know anyone that say im going to get a hobby snake they say im going to get a pet snake.

Ha hobby snake... I don't know why that made me laugh, but it did lol

Sent from my GT-N7000

Our realestate didn't really care. We declared them, as well as the rest of the zoo, he said as long as they never came out when he did inspections he didn't care about them. Basically he only wanted us to declare the animals that could cause damage, eg the dogs, the parrot. His reasoning was that a snake is going to do bugger all damage to the house so why bother. He was petrified when he did the first inspection, but was gingerly interested in the snakes and asked a few qs about them before high tailing it back out of the snake room, lol
On the other hand the place we just left had a landlord that hated snakes and refused to let me keep any there other than the big girl i originally declared when I moved in, ie he wouldn't let me move any more onto the property even though they were under the house

Funny story...years ago when I moved, I only declared a cat...didn't bother mentioning the dog, pythons, turtles & lizards.
Anyway the real estate told us that once a month, this guy Jimmy would come around & mow our lawn for us...if he was a bother just let the real estate know.
So there would be days when Jimmy came over & I had all my reps out in the sun & my dog jumping all over him while he mowed.
Another time he came over I had dismantled the back door off its hinges so I could get a 6 ft tank into the living room...suffice to say Jimmy gave me a hand with the tank & securing the door back on its hinges.

Anyway the dreaded day came, the owner of the house was coming over for a general inspection...we "hid" all the reptile enclosures, my missus grabbed the dog "for a walk" & was straight out the back door once the owner started knocking on the front door.
Lo & behold, the owner of the house was Jimmy.

Nsw is the state in question not victoria

But that's really the point. It's not about states or which real estate agent...it's about the individual owner of the rental themselves & how they feel about pets....and hobby snakes.

Being a landlord and a reptile owner, i have had with no problems in the past with the people renting the house having reptiles. Would rather have reptiles in the house than a dog or dogs demolishing a fully landscaped backyard, with no hope of recovering costs from their owners..
Reptiles don't leave surprises on the lawn and all through the garden.

Like I said it was just info with a ph and maybe the could put the op onto someone in their state. Was just trying to help some....

Im confused as to whether dragondragon is saying snakes are hobbies or his pets...hmmm

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Yeah im from their state with a brother whos a realestate agent its alright man but its not alright people are being so rude when im trying to get a point across maybe you should learn how to read rachel6695 i never said my pets were a hobby i said that in the case of a rental property they are considered a hobby.

Hey now, I can read, and I am not name calling or swearing.
I was just simply confused at what your arguement was. I think everyone is just putting in their opinions and giving advice on their past experiences, I think so far you have been the only one that has been rude by swearing and name calling.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Charles Sturt University will let you live on campus with reptiles so long as they live in an enclosure. They says it's the same has having fish.

I live in qld and my real estate didnt care.. They said as long as it's locked up and won't get out. Honestly they were pretty interested in know more about it. But again the were pretty cool with most things. Just depends on how good and relaxed ur real estate people are.

In N.S.W. it's illegal for the owner or real estate agent/representative to come on the property without giving you written notice or getting your permission via phone first. So you should pretty much always have plenty of time to hide them or move them if necessary.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back