Glass polishing

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mjcarpentry

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, thinking about building a couple tanks for home with glass sliders and wonder if anyone's had a good at cleaning up the edges themselves and how it went.

Thanks in advance

Just easier, faster and safer to pay the extra $5-$10 bucks and get the pro's to do it...

P60-100 wet and dry and water. Keep paper wet.

Wing_Nut

A cheap shapening stone (for sharpening chisels etc) does the trick to get the sharp edge off. Rub it along the edge not across it. Once used for this, the stone will not be able to be used to sharpen tools.
This can be followed with the "wet or dry" sandpaper using a finer grade of paper each time. Depends how much work you want to put in. I stop at the sharpening stone personally

Just a tip - when using the wet or dry paper, wrap it around a cork sanding block or something similar, to avoid the chance of your fingers sliding along a sharp edge. It onlt takes a few passes and the sharp edge will be removed. Similarly a carborundum stone works very well too, as has already been stated.

Take special care to rub the corners back as well - these are what will dig into any track the glass may slide in.

Jamie

I use a rotary emery belt sander when I set up. I think it was about $100 but a lot safer than sanding block when doing hundreds of edges. It should last longer than i will so a good investment.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just another questions are most people using the tracks supplied at bunnings. Only saying as I had a look yesterday and noticed they were plastic and was expecting aluminium.

Yes, most people are using the plastic ones. You can get aluminum tracks will ball rollers in them but they are expensive and really overkill for most enclosures.

Wing_Nut

Whenever I have got glass I ask for them to arris the top and bottom edges as it will be sliding in plastic track, they usually do it for free

A cheap shapening stone (for sharpening chisels etc) does the trick to get the sharp edge off. Rub it along the edge not across it. Once used for this, the stone will not be able to be used to sharpen tools.
This can be followed with the "wet or dry" sandpaper using a finer grade of paper each time. Depends how much work you want to put in. I stop at the sharpening stone personally

I do the same as above with a sharpening stone snapped in half. I also don't bother with the wet and dry, seems like a waste of time. A bit of extra grinding on the bottom corners stops the glass digging into the tracks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back