thinking of doing a diy

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

loz006

Not so new Member
Reaction score
So I'm thinking of turning my 6 foot fish tank into a lizard tank as it has a small silicone leak and not good to hold water anymore.. and I would rather have a lizard then fish :p lol.
So I am obviously starting completely from scratch. I need to make a lid for it and was thinking of making it out of wood and chicken wire (for ventilation) ??
This will be my first attempt at doing anything like this so if anyone has done this before or know of the best way to do it could give me some tips that would be awesome.
I know I need heat light and uvb lighting but not sure the best way to do this.
If you have any photos of your projects could you upload them? Thanks everyone. :)

I have done this with a 3 foot tank. I built a styrofoam back wall for it and used a timber frame like you are planning but with metal flyscreen instead of chicken mesh. I use a halogen downlight as my heat source on a basking ledge and also have a UV 3 foot fluorescent light.

Attachments

• Enclosure.jpg
    Enclosure.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 125
Andynic07 has the same idea I would use. Ive just started using these new globes that are heat and UV in one they are quite $$$ about 70-80 bucks but they are fantastic. Ive got one on my monitor and another on my boyds.

That looks awesome andynic07!! This may be a silly question but having the styrofoam back does that help keep the heat in? Cause the glass isn't that goo to keep in. And also when you put the lights in did you put them above the metal flyscreen or in the tank? My tank isn't as high as yours.. and sorry to ask but do you have any photos of the way you did your lid?

Andynic07 has the same idea I would use. Ive just started using these new globes that are heat and UV in one they are quite $$$ about 70-80 bucks but they are fantastic. Ive got one on my monitor and another on my boyds.

Josh do these still need to be changed every 6 months (unless blowing before then) ?? And do you have any photos of what you've done?

I mounted a low voltage halogen downlight in the metal flywire for the heat light on timer only.

I just boxed up a frame slightly bigger than the fish tank and stapled the flywire to it with bits of timber on top to take the weight.

I then place the uv above the flywire.

The downside to this is the whole lid needs to be removed when doing anything in the tank.

a4ahytuv.jpg
tehetesy.jpg

I used a 4ft tank for our Coastal in the beginning, the following pic it the diagram i drew up to make the top for it, what it does not show but is there is a 1/2in bead under the top that sits within the top of the tank to stop any lateral movement of the top, i also used silican to stop the top being pushed off from within, hope this is of some help :) .........................................Ron

Attachments

• TANK LID.jpg
    TANK LID.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 83
Ive used them for about 1-2 months they are mercury bulbs. Ive dropped them power surged them and they still work they are hardly bulbs so worth the money you spend. Like all UV lights they need to be replace after 1 year for new UV

Ive used them for about 1-2 months they are mercury bulbs. Ive dropped them power surged them and they still work they are hardly bulbs so worth the money you spend. Like all UV lights they need to be replace after 1 year for new UV
What do you mean when you said that you power surged them?

I live in a rural area and the power has been out a few times in the last 2 months due to windy weather and storms. Whenever the power normally goes out I have to replace bulbs but havnt had to with these.

Instead of chicken wire have a look at making the lids out of pegboard.

I read that they should be changed every 6 months as the uv runs out or something like that.. is this not the case? And only needs to be done yearly?

I used a 4ft tank for our Coastal in the beginning, the following pic it the diagram i drew up to make the top for it, what it does not show but is there is a 1/2in bead under the top that sits within the top of the tank to stop any lateral movement of the top, i also used silican to stop the top being pushed off from within, hope this is of some help :) .........................................Ron

Ron this has given me the best ideas!! Thank you heaps!! :)

I was told a year by the people at the petshop

Oh really? Ok. Thanks.
Also, how long will the uv light need to be? I don't think the tank is 6 foot, you onow the one I'm thinking of doing it to?

Timber and fly screen mesh lid. I've previously posted these pics on another thread but I thought you may find them helpful.

Top:

tete4y3y.jpg

Underneath:

tajuqyre.jpg

Side:

ehege7y2.jpg

Obviously mine is tiny and for a 6ft tank id suggest making two or three separate ones mainly so it's easier to take off and put back on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back