Mites

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

trdt58

Not so new Member
Reaction score
HI TO ALL...i must be missing something ...placing branches in you enclosure must be treated to get rid of mites etc...i understand that and there are different ways to do this...but you watch you-tube and snake owners take their pythons out side in the grass and on branches etc.. doesnt the snake stand the chance of picking up the mites..i would love to take mine out side when the suns out etc..

thoughts please..... tom

placing branches in you enclosure must be treated to get rid of mites etc

No.
Mites don't live on branches.

Mites are predominately spread outside of individual collections by their keepers,for instance on their clothing when visiting other keepers and also by purchasing infested animals which in turn infects that collection.

My bredli goes outside weekly for a walk around the block.
Well my front yard.

Mites don't occur in the wild in Australia.

They don't normally, but I have seen urban w/c red-bellies with mites. They must have been exposed to escapees or to rubbish from infested collections. However, the chances of snakes picking them up in the backyard or from cage furnishings brought in from the bush is zero. They are not like ticks which can spend months or years away from the host, they have a fairly rapid life-cycle and need to feed on blood regularly to keep the cycle going.

Jamie

Yes no need to worry about mites on branches etc, Just make sure there is no ants living in them before you put them in with your animals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back