CTS Keelback Compatibilty

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NicG

AussiePythons Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nobody seems to have done it, but it seems plausible on paper.

Thoughts?

Notes:
- Semi-aquatic enclosure
- Similarly sized heads
- Feed separately
- CTS = Common Tree Snake

I would be worried about both eating each other- both are visually stimulated and in a confined space I think you will loose one eventually.

If you want to try mixed communities, especially in the confined space of an enclosure, despite theorising that "it seems plausible on paper" as you also did with the snake/turtle thread, you'll find that snakes will not be suitable as members of a mixed herp community, even if the other occupants are also snakes (except perhaps if they are the same species and of similar size, and even this is a risk). I actually don't even see how this latest thought bubble seems "plausible on paper," both species mainly feed on cold-blooded prey, which probably includes any reptiles they can catch. What sort of paper are you using?

Jamie

I would be worried about both eating each other- both are visually stimulated and in a confined space I think you will loose one eventually.

If you want to try mixed communities, especially in the confined space of an enclosure, despite theorising that "it seems plausible on paper" as you also did with the snake/turtle thread, you'll find that snakes will not be suitable as members of a mixed herp community, even if the other occupants are also snakes (except perhaps if they are the same species and of similar size, and even this is a risk). I actually don't even see how this latest thought bubble seems "plausible on paper," both species mainly feed on cold-blooded prey, which probably includes any reptiles they can catch. What sort of paper are you using?

How is this any different from keeping pairs of CTS together?

I am well aware of the 'psycho' nature of food-oriented CTS, especially females.

I have plenty of space available in my herp room for them to have separate - if a little boring - enclosures. The reason for my questions is that I'm wondering how best I can populate my display enclosures.

How is this any different from keeping pairs of CTS together?

I am well aware of the 'psycho' nature of food-oriented CTS, especially females.

I have plenty of space available in my herp room for them to have separate - if a little boring - enclosures. The reason for my questions is that I'm wondering how best I can populate my display enclosures.

why would you keep them in pairs when you don't need to.......they are solitary animals outside of hibernation sites and reproductive events......

why would you keep them in pairs when you don't need to.......they are solitary animals outside of hibernation sites and reproductive events......

As a general rule, I don't, and I advise people not to. But I also know that it can be done successfully, which is why I'm curious about the potential CTS/Keelback combo.

As a general rule, I don't, and I advise people not to. But I also know that it can be done successfully, which is why I'm curious about the potential CTS/Keelback combo.
Depends on your definition of success I suppose..... I can free handle browns taipans and tigers at the same time- does not mean it's a good idea- I have done it and I did not get bitten- but it was still a silly thing to do.

I would suggest that that it has risks without reward and will cause the occupants undue stress.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back