substrate?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ether

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hey all

In a short period of time a am going to pick up my first diamond python hatchlind and i was wondering what substrates can be used other than newspaper? Any suggestions would be great!

Breeders choice, kitty litter, aquarium gravel, sawdust, sterilised bark chips, sand....
They all have their pros and cons.

i find newspaper the best ether. i tried polished rocks at one point and though they looked absolutely fantastic and held heat really well, it was absolutely impossible to first spot a mess and then try and clean it! i came to the conclusion that newspaper (and i guess BC for those who use it) are the most hygenic cos any wastes can be easily seen and cleaned straight away and that is really the most important thing over looks.

whats marine carpet, can u describe it to me?

you can just chuck it in the sink and wash it.
Its just a thin carpet, green in colour and use the one that DOESN'T have the rubber backing cos that's crap. just cut two for each enclosure and swap em over when you clean. Wash the dirty one so it's ready for the next time :) Great stuff :)

I am using marine carpet in 2 of my cages, Must say that is great. I am washing in chlorine and rince.

Not so cwarren, astro turf and marine carpet are two totally different things. Astro turf I wouldn't use at all but marine carpet is top stuff if you get the green or if you want something different the blue. The black stuff with the rubber backing I tried but found that the rubber wouldn't stand up to the bleach etc and flakes away in the wash causing a bl**dy awful mess to clean up :)

Breeders choice has worked well for me for hatchies and adults. It's worth running a magnet across the stuff to pull out the occasional staple (which if ingested will probably do some seious harm).

G

do u find sometimes they swallow the BC? i've heard also that some snakes can come up with a nasty dermatitis type thing with astroturf...poor poppets

Hi gang
On sunday (15/2/04) I cleaned the snakes tank and i change the substrate from bark to Breeder's cat litter, She has been in the log since then but she normally comes out at night time. What do you guys think the reasons are? Also When does the baby snakes start shedding?
I am new to reptile keeping, please answer.

shaun, it is common for snakes to find a spot they feel safe to sit in f a day time, then they will come out to explore at night, theat is normal they are a nocturnal animal so you have nothing to worry about there.

As for hatchlings starting to shed, it varies from snake to snake some as early as two weeks (some earlier) but it is not uncommon for it to take up to five or six weeks.

Once their eyes cloud place a tray of water under the heat lamp this will boost the humidity and soften the skin making it easier for their sheds

hope this helps
Matt

just keep an eye on her for the next few days you have just changed her enviroment, so she may be adjusting, take her out of her hide a couple of times a day and place her on the breeders choice so that she gets used to it give that a shot and let us know what happens

matt

she is in the middle of the log, hard to reach and she is curled up on the side of the log.
Thanks stockeh, I will let you guys know tomorrow (after 3pm)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back