HELP! Need info on hatchlings quick!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

thals

Hey,

I've decided that I'm going to get a Blond Mac hatchling off Bob soon! :D

But I'm not too sure about the housing requirements needed for a hatchling.

Could you keep them in a small plastic container with holes through the lid, on top of a heat pad?

How big should the container be?

Around what age/size should the hatchlings be when I have to move them in to an actual enclosure?

How big should the enclosure be for a Blond Mac adult?

Also, with feeding, how often should i feed a hatchling? You'd feed them pinkies, wouldn't you?

Please help...I'm a little nervous about getting my first herp in that I want to make sure I look after it properly :?

Any info would be greatly appreciated! :D :p :D :p :D

This would be a good chance for some of the younger/newer members to contribute to the site and answer a few of these questions.

Yes you can keep in plastic click - clack type container on heat pad as ong as they have a temperature gradient from one end of the container to the other. The size of the container ( click - clack ) I cant answer because i dont know the size of the python but if its hatchie mac probably 24 cm by 15 cm would be fine. You should move them into the enclosure when there established feeding and grown to around 0.5 -1 ft long it is all personal preference. An adult Mac would live more than comfortabley in an enclosure 2ft by 2ft by 2ft. Most hatchies do eat pinkies and i feed my hatchies every 7 - 10 days ( one pinkie) If you still need help than pm me and i will go into much more detail. Although there will be heaps of people on this site able to help you.

RE: Re: RE: HELP! Need info on hatchlings quick!

Yes i know the size i gave was huge but have no idea on how long pythonrockchick plans to keep in click - clack.

a heating pad under the click clack??!!!

couldn't the click clack sit in a heated enlcosure do pretty much the same thing

a heating pad under the click clack??!!!

couldn't the click clack sit in a heated enlcosure do pretty much the same thing
It will have a similar effect, but a heat pad under a click-clack is a good, cheap start for a beginner until they need an enclosure.

I know lots of people ( not beginers ) who keep thier hatchies on heat pads in click clacks, although i still prefer click clack in enclosure.

Just make sure you give it a gradient if you do put it in a larger enclosure.

Thanx guys...this has been extremely helpful. I was actually planning on getting a tank 3x2x2 so it could use it when its an adult as well...so could u actually keep a hatchie in an enclosure this size, instead of a click clack container? It's not that I want to keep it in the container, I just thought a 3x2x2 sized tank would be 2 bit big for a hatchie... :? Also, I'm not 2 sure about what is meant by the gradient...I'm a real newbie 2 these things, and i thank u guys 4 having so much patience with me!! :D

Re: RE: HELP! Need info on hatchlings quick!

africancichlidau said:
A hatchling Maccy? I keep mine in a cigarette box :)

very funny! :lol:

i would go with a click clack for a hatchie then the 3x2x2 when its older but i would use a wooden box not a tank.

also gradient is the temp difference over a distance so one end should be cooler then the other.

make sence?

gradient is hot at one end and cooler at the other, also your rite a tank that size would be too big for a hatchy. good luck with it all.

yeah, i get it thanks guys!!! :D just one more thing...with the gradient, how would u go about ensuring one end is cooler than the other? (sorry u guys, if u wanna kill me 4 all the stupid questions asked, ill understand! :))

You put the heat source at one end, or in the click clack example you only put one end of it on the heat pad.
Cheers

Get a cheap thermometer so you can keep an eye on temps. You don't want your hot getting over 33 degees.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back