Scored Carpet Python

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kwaka_80

Reaction score
some guy i talk to at work is a herpitoligist and he got work to ring me up to get me in and he had this 6 1/2 foot female carpet python BEAUTIFUL colourings and said i could have it.. He caught it in Noosa national park (coloum stretch) "for those who know", he checked it for mites/desieses/infections, scale count, he says its roughly 3 - 4 years old and was close to development so this may have been good for it....

Im so stoked that he just gave it to me, can i keep wild snakes?? do i need to do anything with epa??

It's illegal, you can get in trouble, if you keep animals on permit it isn't smart to keep illegal fauna.

How close to development do you class as 'close'.

No you cant keep it, it has to be released back into the national park. Even when permits are issued to catch reptiles in QLD,(rarely), you still can not take them from a national park.

Carpet pythons are so readily available in captivity these days so there is no need to remove wild carpets from their natural habitat anyway.

if this was the 1st of April, I would be laughing. But if you are serious,please, please call Ecoaccess in Qld and get some info and then inform your 'snake catching' mates that taking ANY reptile from the wild is illegal. (unless the EPA gives you a permit to collect {rare})
this is why the licenced keepers like me have to put up with strict outdated laws in Qld.
j

Your mate is a herpetologist and I'm the Queen. I think we're throwing that term around far too easily.

Yes, it's illegal, there's no way you can square it with QPWS, and I hope for your sake that the snake isn't actually in your house yet. If it isn't, don't have anything more to do with it. If it is...well....I've got no idea how you can get out of this one without further illegal activities. Unless you happen to be close to Noosa National Park.

Kwaka your mate??? has stitched you up big time! Call Parks and Wildlife and hand it in. Then find a new class of mate!

well he only gave it to me because he knows i have a "farm" at my house and i am very responsible with looking after animals, he gave it to me with the knowledge that i will look after it for a little bit to get an idea on how nto care for a big snake then relise it into the national park just across the road from my house..

the snake was caught only meters from new developments, the herp was studying the impact on wildlife due to the new road/shopping center going in, he seems to be in it for the love of snakes and NOT the legality of it all....

that's cruel dude it's ok to keep captive bred snake's because they don't know of anything else but pulling something out the wild that has been free all it's life is just cruel take her back mate

Why does it need to be cared for?

What his motivations are for being a "herpitoligist" are isn't the issue. I'm not "in it for the legality of it all" mostly because i have no idea what the hell that means :lol: No one is saying that there's anything wrong with loving herps and wanting to keep them, the issues with keeping WC snakes are plentiful and don't just involve the fact that it's illegal. Though that is important enough on it's own.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back