New coastal carpet python!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dhep3309

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm very new to all this - I just bought a beautiful 9 month old coastal carpet python 2 weeks ago, and have been trying to figure out what else I should buy to keep her happy. So far she's got 2 hiding 'caves' (1 warm, 1 cool) as well as a heating pad under one end of the enclosure, a basic liquid crystal thermometer, a water bowl and some fake jungle leaves. Also, I've placed a UV light (5%, 13W) next to the enclosure, which is on for most of the day. She's been happily eating frozen hopper mice (once / week).

I've been considering buying one of those heated rocks to complement (or replace) the heating pad.. is this a good idea? Also, have I left anything out that she'd need?

Thanks guys!
Dan

Attachments

• Image011.jpg
    Image011.jpg
    216.7 KB · Views: 163
  • snake1.jpg
    snake1.jpg
    224.4 KB · Views: 142
RE: hodges_399

Yea it's plastic, around 45cm x 30cm x 15cm

Hey, I have the same enclosure thing and hide and stuff & you know how you have the thermometer thing on the side of your enclosure, i out mine up the hot end and it only reads 25.. is this cause its not on the actual floor?

(Sorry if this is hijacking.. just want some advise)

Very nice coastal as well :)

RE: hodges_399

The guy I bought her from said the click clack should be alright for at least another 6 months... but I'll probably try to build her a big glass one after that!

At the moment your heat mat will be plenty good enough

You will find that he will hide most of time anyway.

They are really good photos you have too, very clear.

D

Re: Ashleigh:]

Yea, I get the same thing as well.. the thermometer never seems to go above 25/26... but yea, that's just the air temp. At first I was a bit worried that it'd be too cold for her, but a lot of the time she's in the cool end.. so I guess it's alright!

Oh okay, thats good :)
The reading i get is about 25 at day time and 23 at night time..
What watt heat matt have you got & how big?
Mine is 20x20cm and is 8 watt.

re: hodges_399

The kit was $180 (including a booklet about pythons lol), plus I did a handling/husbandry course for $70, then the snake itself was $280 - at the high end for a carpet python it seems, but the guy I bought her from was very professional so I was sure I was getting a quality python!

hey congrats on the coastal! welcome to the site. i cant think of anything else u might need.

Re: We Have It All

The kit included the click-clack, a water bowl, 5kg of kitty litter (substrate), a hiding cave, the thermometer and a booklet on carpet python husbandry.. the course I was an extra $70 - well worth it!

congrats mate....Good choice for your first snakey....Good hardly snakes that handle handling generally well.....Hope all goes good for you...

she is gorgeous mate.
my pythons love heat rocks. at night when the heat light goes off they love to go and curl up on the rock and go to sleep. but if the heat matt works for you then use that. otherwise, it looks awesome, you should be proud, u have done well for u first python.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back