Shift Workers

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

coxy

Reaction score
Hey just wondering who else here works the grave yard shift.
I work 6pm till 2am, but usually don't finish till 4ish and then after a maccas stop or city extra stop on the way home from work for dinner get home 5ish. I love the hours, and my working week finishes friday morning. Don't know how i would go if i had a family on these hours though. Love the look on my room mates face when he gets up at 6:30am to get ready for work and im sitting on the couch watching tele having a beer. Gotta say though, thank you foxtel IQ , dark blinds, and aircon .

Yeah I work shiftwork - 4 on 4 off system comprising of 2x12hr days(6am-6pm), then 2x12hr nights(6pm-6am).

Yeah I work shiftwork - 4 on 4 off system comprising of 2x12hr days(6am-6pm), then 2x12hr nights(6pm-6am).

I used to do an identical roster - I have since moved to a new section and work Mon - Thurs 7 - 5. As much as I loved my old days off I think I would struggle to go back to it in a hurry...night shifts used to kill me...

Last edited:
i do 3:30pm - 1am

and yeah, beats the hell out of briefcase shifts

12 Hr shifts? Bugger that, unless it was a sitting down job with a tv.

12 Hr shifts? Bugger that, unless it was a sitting down job with a tv.

HA!

i've only recently stopped doing 14+ hour shifts....

personally, given the choice i'd rather do 4 12+ hour days than 5 8 hour days

Yeah the 12hr shifts are ordinary at times but the big plus is I have 4 days off out of every 8!!!! We used to work a rotating 8hr, 3 shift pattern which really sucked. It went like this:

7 night shifts(11pm-7am)
two days off, including the day you finish
7 afternoon shifts(3pm-11pm)
1 day off
7 day shifts(7am-3pm)
four days off "long roster"

The thought of going back to this roster frightens the hell out of me. I never want to have to do 7 straight night shifts again, or any afternoon shifts for that matter!!!!

I work 9pm-5am and its good in some ways but really terrible when you try and have a life, the day is the only time you can do things and its also the only time for sleep so the two seem to clash

Shift work is a sore point in my house (my wife hates it)
I work 4 till midnight 6 days,Sunday till Friday!!,leaves very little time for anything else,
especially 2 hours a day travelling!!
It is a hell of a lot better than 9pm till 5am Sunday till Friday (which i have recently finished nearly 2 years of).On my one day off doing the night shift it was not uncommon for me to fall asleep eating my dinner. Its hard to find a happy medium i have an eight year old daughter who thinks i have no time for her :(:(

I do shift work from monday-friday, i work in a bar during the day a few days a week . some nights i work in the kitchen cooking and work sat night and sunday lunch on the weekend.My shifts vary depending on the time of the year eg.school holidays and easter.I had a saturday and sunday off one time and didnt have a clue what to do.Hopefully the shift work will change when i finish this personal training course.Hoping in time for summer my favourite time of year.

I do the 4x12 hr shift (2 days, 2 nights 7-7 then have 5 off). I've done this for 14 years. Allows me plenty of time for family and recreation. For example I did the Kindagarten duties when my son was there, I do school pick ups and I get to SCUBA dive through the week when no other bugger can.
Wouldn't have it any other way.

friday and saturday nights i work 10pm till 4am during the week it might be 3pm till 1am or 11pm till 6am times can differ me but at least i get to sit in my car and watch dvd's :):)

i personally am not a shift worker but my husband has been a shift worker forever. He does 9pm-6am, 6days a week.
It sucks, i hate it and i know he does.

my dad does either 6am-6pm or 6pm-6am 5 on 4 off 5 on 5 off and he sits in a truck for 12hours driving in circles

When I worked at maccas they used to ask me to do the graveyard shift. I hated it only because they'd ask me that day while I was working. I'd start work at 5:30am, finish at 2pm and somewhere during those hours I'd say "Jess can you work tonight 9pm to 6am" so I never got much sleep. Be pretty nuts by the time my night shift was finishing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back