CAMERA'S which one to buy!!!!!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GEARJAMMER

Reaction score
My old Fuji Finepix fianally past away recently and i am now in the market for a NEW camera...
I would like some help from some of the people who post amazing shots of there animals as i would like to be able to look back at good, quality shots of our Pride and Joys( the kids too)

ahh although I'd love a Nikon D80 or similar Canon with a nice big macro, I'd be fairly happy with one of the flash canon digitals with 12x Optical Zoom and anti-shake function. I have a Nikon 5700, which i find doesn't take photos at high enough resolution (for me). Also, the zoom (4x optical is fairly limiting). The macro function on the other hand is very good (i'm quite happy with it). Check out some of my photos from my threads, they aren't too bad.

-H

Basically good cameras take higher quality, sharper, better exposed shots with less noise. Good shots only come from the operator ;)
How much you want to spend and do you want to go to dslr or stick with advanced point and shoot?

My recent macro experience was http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61837

All taken with an Olympus E500 (the new one E510 is even better) with a 35 mm macro lens.

But I really want a 50 mm and a 90 mm macro lens!

Go four thirds (Olympus and I think new panasonic) for an SLR - look it up on the net - you'll have so many good options for the future!

I have a FujiFilm s6500fd
and I LOVE IT
check out my thread of kelly and I's adventures continued to see some of the macro options, i'm not hell good with the camera but i'm learning and this is such a great camera

SLR's are an option but i would like one with a realy good Macro also
Nikon D40 6.1MP DSLR + 18-55 Lens - should be well under $1000
An excellent (and fast) macro for the money is the Tamron SPAF 90mm and that should set you back about $600. That's about the bottom line in price for an entry level kit with macro

Nikon D40 6.1MP DSLR + 18-55 Lens - should be well under $1000
An excellent (and fast) macro for the money is the Tamron SPAF 90mm and that should set you back about $600. That's about the bottom line in price for an entry level kit with macro

So by my calculation that's $1600.

The Olympus E500 comes with a 35 mm macro lens, a 14 - 44 mm zoom and a 44 - 150 zoom plus, I found sigma four thirds for $229 (US) 14 - 50 mm and 50 - 200 mm lenses.

All up - same price :)

Though, an E510 would be a little more pricey (I guess).

Takes a huge amount of shopping - there's an internet site that does 'best prices' in Australia. Check that out.

Lenses - import from the US try sigma4less.com

I use a digital slr the canon eos350D, but the 400 is out now, they are a great cam!

I just bought a Canon IXUS 950 IS for $500 - excellent quality for a point n shoot. Great macro too.
It depends what your price range is.

thanks everyone for your input and thanks slim6y i had a look at your thread and i like the quality so for $1400-$1800 i should get something that will do all i need and then some:D:D

I bought my g/f a Nikon D50 for her birthday last year and it takes awesome pics, especially shooting in RAW format. We got the camera, 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 Nikkor lens, 50-200mm f4.5-6 Nikkor lens, 50mm f1.4 Nikkor lens, 70-300mm f4.5-6 Nikkor lens, cleaning kit and lowpro bag for around $2000. Now just need a nice macro lens! :)

The canon 400D is great, but just buy the body and get a decent macro with it. The factory lenses it comes with are crap.

I've just bought an Olympus E-510 D.S.L.R. It's 10 M.P. and has built into the camera an image stabilisation system (saves on camera shake) That way as you buy different lenses you don't have to pay for anti shake lenses like some other camera models. It takes excellent images, as do most of the newer S.L.R.s around now. The kit lenses aren't too shabby either, some cameras have crappy kit lenses supplied. You still would need a macro lens for top quality reptile pics. They are priced around $600 to $800 dollars so it works out to some serious dollars. When in a camera shop pick up and hold all of the models as some feel good and others don't just feel right. Get the staff to give you all the info on each model. I've found Ted's camera staff are usually quite good and spend a lot of time with you. hope this helps, cheers

Rex are you trying to tell me that all i need is a good camera to make my average looking collection look as amazing as YOURS...:Di wish

The canon 400D is great, but just buy the body and get a decent macro with it. The factory lenses it comes with are crap.
I will agree on quality, consumer lenses found in these kits are not the best but you will still need a small kit zoom for everyday photography. Although usually great portrait lenses, real macro's have a fixed focal length so trying to frame your subject in normal situations can be a major pain in the butt.

Rex are you trying to tell me that all i need is a good camera to make my average looking collection look as amazing as YOURS...:Di wish
If I knew how to work out photoshop I would have some REAL high coloured pythons.
These new cameras have so many options that by the time you set them up you realise the subject has flown the coop.
I find the hardest part of taking pics of your herp is keeping them still. Anyone have any tips on this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back