Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

moloch05

Reaction score
As I mentioned in my previous post, my wife and I spent 10 days in Brisbane in January. Most days were wet but there was a bit of sun on one weekend. We decided to take advantage of it and visit the Lamington Plateau with one trip to the Binna Burra area and one trip to the O'Reilly's area. Binna Burra is a little closer to the coast and the forest in this area is taller and I think more spectacular than that near O'Reilly's. The subtropical forest on the plateau is some of the the best that I have seen anywhere in Australia.

It is hard to believe that this beautiful area is only about an hour's drive from the high-rise of the Gold Coast.
GoldCoast1.jpg

... a view back to the Gold Coast from the road to Binna Burra.
GoldCoast5.jpg

... further along, the plateau comes into view:
BBhabitat1.jpg

BBhabitat2.jpg

My wife and I followed a few tracks including one to Coomera Falls. Here are some shots of the habitat. Trees with massive buttressed roots were numerous along with ferns and palms.
BBhabitat3.jpg

BBhabitat5.jpg

BBeucalyp1.jpg

We saw a few strangler figs like this one. These trees would be a good place to see leaf-tailed geckos at night.
BBstrangler1.jpg

After about a 6km walk along the muddy trails, we reached the falls. The last time that we saw this spot was on our honeymoon 25 years ago.
BBComera1.jpg

BBComera3.jpg

BBhabitat6.jpg

I think that the most spectacular animal on this walk was not a herp but instead, this gorgeous Lamington Spiny Crayfish (Euastacus sulcatus). The trails were wet and this crayfish was right out in the open. We met a couple of walkers who had seen an entirely blue crayfish as well but I liked the combination of colours on this animal.
BBcray1.jpg

BBcray2.jpg

Land Mullets (Egernia major) were common in the hills. These are the biggest skinks in the world and they really are enormous. Most that I have seen previously were shy but these were incredibly tame. They ignored my wife and I as we walked along the trail.
BBmullet1.jpg

BBmullet2.jpg

I watched one eat a white fungus. A chunk of the fungus can be seen in its mouth:
BBlandmullet.jpg

Shade Skinks (Saproscincus sp.) were common. As their name implies, they were always seen in complete shade. They often were perched on leaves or branches of small shrubs. Several species of Saproscincus are found in this area and they are all look quite similar. I am not certain of the species. On another site, one of the participants suggested that the first looks most like a S. challengeri and the second, possibly a S. rosei.
BBsapro4.jpg

BBsapro3.jpg

The only snake encountered was this Marsh Snake (Hemiaspis signata).
BBmarsh1.jpg

Murray's Skinks (Eulamprus murrayi) were common along the trail. They water skinks usually "basked" in complete shade on wet, mossy logs. They are obviously adapted to the cool and moist conditions that are typical on the plateau.
BBmurrays1.jpg

This Brush Turkey seemed to be enjoying a bit of sun:
BBbrush1.jpg

... a large annelid worm that must have been flooded out onto the trail.
BBworm.jpg

... a "pill" millipede on the trail.
BBpillmillipede.jpg

... a colourful fungus. When mature, they formed a lemon-yellow cap.
BBfungi1.jpg

can anyone help me with the family of this flower?
BBflower.jpg

The drive to O'Reilly's passed through habitats like this with many Hoop Pines.
ORhabitat1.jpg

Here is a view of the forest near O'Reilly's.
ORhabitat2.jpg

Land Mullets were again a frequent sight in open areas, particularly around the O'Reilly's Guest House.
ORlandmullet1.jpg

ORlandmullet2.jpg

Once again, we saw many Murray's Skinks. Often, only their head would protrude from a hole in a log. This one was "basking" on top of a wet rock.
ORmurrays1.jpg

ORmurrays2.jpg

We also saw a few Tryon's Skinks (Eulamprus tryoni). These skinks are similar to Murray's Skinks but are endemic to the Lamington Plateau.
ORtyroni1.jpg

One surprise in the rain was this Southern Angle-headed Dragon (Hypsilurus spinipes). It stood near the edge of the trail and held a huge native cockroach in its mouth. While we watched it, a group of 10 others passed by and not one person spotted the dragon. I moved next to it so that no one would accidentally step on the lizard. It was nicely marked but was not nearly as colourful as its northern cousin, the Boyd's Forest Dragon (H. boydii).
forestdragon1.jpg

forestdragon2a.jpg

... an incredible fungus
fungus1.jpg

The Lamington Plateau is home to one of the most stunning birds in Australia, the Regent Bowerbird. Here is a male. It is a spectacular sight in flight with its gold wings.
regentBowerbird2.jpg

regentBowerbird1.jpg

This is a female. She surprised a tourist by suddenly dropping to a table and grabbing a chunk of their sandwich even though they were holding it at the time.
regentBowerbird3.jpg

As usual, there were massive numbers of Crimson Rosellas and King Parrots at the parrot feeding deck near the O'Reilly's Guest House.

Crimson Rosella
crimsonRosella2.jpg

Regards,
David

Great pics, might have to visit the area one day.
NIce find with the Hypsilurus spinipes to

wow you got some great pick there mate well done i did the warrie curcuit at spring brook the other day 17km walk and didnt see half that but i did have to move an 8 foot carpet from that track biggest one a seen for a long time

Great pics and tour guide,
thanks for showing them,
Adam

You were lucky to see the angle-head. I've done hundreds of trips there and have only ever seen one. We were up there at the same time, the rain was bad and I only managed to see two joes, a coastal and a very shy rbbs. We did, however, get to see an Albert's lyrebird. And leeches, boy did we see leeches. I pulled about 30 off the gf on a 10 km walk

Fantastic photos Moloch05 :D
That area looks very similar to where I live (Dorrigo Plateau)

The "flower" looks like Calanthe triplicata 'Giant White Christmas orchid'

very nice, i might have to go down there one day.

I love the angle head dragon, the white flower and the orange fungas , oh and the yellow and black bird is pretty

Wow... Thats an incredible amount of wildlife you have captured. I must admit that when im there i am more like that group of 10 tourists. I dont notice what is around me.

I will definantly be going back down soon and will hopefully spot alot more then usual.

Last time all that I really saw was a large python crossing the road (we shooed it off)

Thanks, everyone, for the replies.

Fuscus,
I doubt that the angleheads are scarce -- they just blend in so well and don't move much. We heard Albert's Lyrebrids on this trip but did not see any. Years ago, we saw them when we stayed at the guest house. lWe did find the leeches, especially on the second day when we walked along the Border Track from O'Reilly's. It was raining lightly and the leeches were out in force.

Iozza,
You must live in a beautiful place if it looks the same as Lamington! Thanks for the plant id. I googled it for more pics. What a strange orchid. The flower stalk reminded me of Hyacinth Orchids here in Wollongong but the flower shape was so odd. Also, I don't remember seeing orchids with a floral tube.

Regards,
David

No worries :) yes they certainly aren't your typical orchid - I think they are beautiful.
I know what you mean about leeches - its very wet here and there are plenty around, yuck they gross me out :|
Dorrigo is very similar - we have world heritage listed rainforest and many endangered species as well.

absolutely gorgeous. love the pics and i appreciate the commentary, and that u named the species for us less experienced folk.

Here are a few more photos from a trip to Lamington in January, 2007.

... a very dark Carpet Python.
carpet4.jpg

Green Tree Snake (Dendrelaphis punctulata)
greenTree1.jpg

Carlia foliorum
CarliaFolorium1.jpg

Lampropholis couperi
lampropholisCouperi1.jpg

... an immature Murray's Skink
tyrons4a.jpg

Eastern Water Skink (Eulamprus quoyii)
waterSkink1.jpg

Copper-tailed Skink (Ctenotus taeniolatus) without a copper tail
CopperTailed1.jpg

... a shedding Angle-headed Dragon.
forestDragon3.jpg

Saltuarius swaini
swaini3.jpg

...is this a Bleating Tree Frog (Litoria dentata)?
DesertTreeFrog.jpg

love the GTS :D
the carpet has beautiful colouration too
looks like a bleating tree frog to me

Thanks for sharing the pics David.

Absolutely awesome photography. Can I ask what camera you are using?

blackghost

Thanks again.

blackghost,
I use a Panasonic FZ30 and then software for cropping/sharpening/adjusting the photos.

Regards,
David

Wow thats right in my back yard and didnt even know, thanks for sharing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back