Ackie Enclosure Getting Too Hot!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shegleg

Reaction score
Hi everyone I was wondering if you could recommend me a heat globe for my purposes. I have two young ackies in a 120 x 60 x 60 melamine enclosure. (Substrate is 50% coconut coir 50% washed sand, humidity sitting at about 60%). I am currently swapping between an 80w heat globe and a 120w heat globe (flood lights from Bunnings) twice a day and would ideally like a globe that just sits on the right temps. The 120watts is getting to 30 degrees cool end 45 degree warm end and 65 degrees basking while the 80watts is getting to 25 degrees cool end 35 degrees warm end and 43 degrees basking. They are burrowing a lot and not coming up when I put on the high lamp hence why I think I need to find a happy medium. Would ideally like something I can run all day/night due to the presumed male showing a lot of dominating behaviour towards the presumed female so that she can bask while he sleeps if she wishes. Thanks in advance for your help :)

Last edited:
I also should have mentioned - the basking spot is on top of a large piece of driftwood. I have heard that maybe slate holds the heat better?

I don't know enough or have the experience to comment correctly but i would think from a quick research/reading if the baking temps your getting for the 80w were raised a few+ °c you'd be nearly on the money.?
Are you using a thermostat to control the temps? Could try the 120w with a thermostat?

Last edited:
A rock under the basking spot will help. We use 100w globes, the Philips spot globes from Bunnings are great. The other thing that you can try is to adjust the height of the basking spot. Thought about building a tile stack for under the basking spot?

A rock under the basking spot will help. We use 100w globes, the Philips spot globes from Bunnings are great. The other thing that you can try is to adjust the height of the basking spot. Thought about building a tile stack for under the basking spot?
Yeah my aim is to build a retes stack for them in the next couple of months! I will definitely go pick up one of those 100w globes tonight and give it a try :) in the meantime I have stacked some wood closer under the 80w and it's now getting up to about 52 degrees so I am quite happy with that :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back