Ball python heating?

Discussion in 'Exotic Reptiles' started by Lilli, Sep 26, 2019.

?
  1. Ceramic heat Bulb

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Basking Spot

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Radiant heat panel

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Lilli

Lilli New Member

Hi,
    i'd like to get a 100x40x40 wooden terrarium for a ball python and i'm searching for a good option to heat it properly. right now i'm kinda in between a ceramic heat bulb or a heat panel. however i'm not quite sure about the latter. Should it cover about a third of the tank like a heat mat? would that be enough??
    Of course i'd get a thermostat, no matter what heating option it is.

If anyone of you keep their ball python in a wooden enclosure, please tell me your opion.
    I'd be very happy about any advice!

Thanks!! :)

2. Herptology

Herptology Well-Known Member

I’ve only ever seen them on racks heated by cord/mat/tape

3. Blighty

Blighty Not so new Member

Just to clarify, are you in Australia? You won't exactly have many keepers here able to give you firsthand advice on that.

Anyway, out of the options you have supplied I would go with a cheap globe to bask under. For other options, I would strongly consider making a heat tile with heat cord. It's extremely cheap to make and cheaper again to run. Also very unlikely to fail or need replacement any time soon.

4. Sdaji

Sdaji Almost Legendary

These are nocturnal pythons, much like any of the many typical pythons people keep. I wouldn't use any of those heat sources for a Ball Python or most species. Basking lamps are great for diurnal lizards and some diurnal colubrids. Heat panels are one option for things like Chondros which want ambient heating. I wouldn't use a CHE for anything ever.

For Ball Pythons I'd go with floor heating. They're a nocturnal, non arboreal python. Supplementary lighting is not necessary and is only for your own viewing pleasure, floor heat is your best bet in terms of keeping the animal happy and healthy. When I worked with them in the USA they were just ambient heated (the whole building was kept climate controlled and the enclosures themselves weren't heated) and most of my friends working with them in Asia do the same.

Mick666 and -Adam- like this.