blue carpet phase?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What would possibly be more realistic in the immediate future is to try and lock a GTP in red or yellow phase so that it doesn't transform. Off to my secret basement laboratory...hahahahahahahahahah......come Igor :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers Hawkeye

blue carpets.

hey hawk eye
its naerly been done

the yellow adult gtp that is..i havent seen a full yellow myself but have seen numorous yellows with very limited green patches. some are being called hi yellow or sun glo forms.
there are also calicos, blues and alsorts of others.
i belong to a chondro discussion group in the states that has some wild pics on there if you want a look..
it is called the morelia viridus forum. there are just some stunning gtps in america and europe. the site worth a look for the pics if nothing else.\
cheers paul.

Mutations like this are quite possible.I had been experimenting with brown snakes and last year produced one with two heads.
Unfortunately we had to cease this experiment as we could never decide which end to pick up. :p

I agree with Paul and his statement about natural range.If you could obtain specimens of a snake at either end of that "natural range" and bred them then you could enhance that particular trait but I find it hard to come to terms with that you could get anywhere near producing a new colour morph.
Enhanced colour and/or pattern sure but not a colour change.

cheers M

blue carpets

hi almaron.

just one quick thing..i dont think i ever said it couldnt happen rather i said i wouldnt hold my breath.

maybe you are right , one day maybe a blue will just appear out of nowhere and maybe it already has in the wild and didnt make it in life
maybe you were wrong also. maybe it will never happen in our life time.
hence holding my breath would just shorten that by a dramatic amount.

And yes there is a albino carpet already..so i still stand behind the chances of breeding one of them out of the blue( no pun intended) first.

the whole thread really does need to be taken at face value however. at this stage it really is a dream of ifs buts and maybes..lol
cheers paul.

Yeah. I was talking about a mutation, not trying to make this happen via some type of breeding program. Sure it's a lot of ifs, but these things do happen sometimes. It's a given that we're talking hypotheticals here for sure. I wouldn't recommend holding your breath either. A blue person, not snake, would be the likely result. :D

As for the albino carpet, I haven't seen that one yet. Where is that at Paul (Australia, US, Europe, etc.)? I'd like to see some pics of that. You know, it's weird how the albino gene pops up in reptiles so often. I mean, being a genetic trait, that just appears out of nowhere is weird. Unfortunately, most of these first generation albinos are wild caught, so it's almost impossible to track down the parents to see if it is inherited, or just a mutation. It seems to me that being such an obviously unsuccessful trait, it would have stabilized, and there wouldn't be any het for albino snakes around anymore. Much less two of them that just happen to mate, ya' know.

I wonder if there has been any research into this. Just a wild speculation on my part, but I'm guessing it must be a relatively easily triggered gene mutation. And of course, once triggered, it is a simple recessive gene that can be passed on to offspring. I have seen research indicating that temperature spikes during incubation can cause various birth defects in snakes. Also, its common knowledge that the incubation temp of crocs will determine the sex(granted, this wouldn't be considered a mutation). But maybe not just temp can affect the development. Maybe other things like light, or humidity could be involved. Also, all eggs are "breathable" to a certain extent. That is, there is some exchange of gasses, and liquids into and out of the eggs. What this leads me to believe is that there are perhaps certain "windows" during development where environmental factors can trigger certain mutations.

I don't know, just a wild theory, but doesn't sound too "out there" to me. Any thoughts? Anyone know of any research that would back up my line of thinking, or shoot it down?

I was thinking about what Paul said about holding your breath......maybe that is why the carpet python was blue?
If I was to buy a hermaphrodite blue phase carpet python (TM) then I really wouldnt need to buy a pair to breed them....maybe that could be the future of herpetology.
Sorry to make light of this topic but I must admit that it tickles my funny bone to see 30 posts because a kid some member knows said he was gonna get a blue snake.
BTW I bet he hasnt got it yet.....any takers?

I'm cloning a flouro orange stimson that I genetically enginered. Any takers on the babies? :D

blue carpets

hi almaron
the albino carpet is in australia.. it was wild caught in the northern territory and some how found its way into a pvt collection. Word is it has been bred from but no news on what has or is happening to the off spring

there is a pic in barkers book on page 121 ( northern vvarriegata )
cheers paul

Holy smokes! How did I miss that? I swear I've looked through that book a hundred times, and never noticed that picture. Cool.

greebo as to what you said if he has got it or not i will see him this weekend and ask him for more on the subject that is if he doesnt have it.
o and by the way he is not a kid he is 29.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back