Breeding Stimson pythons

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

katfunky88

Reaction score
Hi guys just wanted to ask a few questions and find out about breeding Stimson pythons I'm new to the reptile world and am finding it hard to get information on reptile keeping and all that goes with it iv got two Stimson pythons as my first pair and absolutely love them and there nature. Can u breed two different Stimson python types? like a broom with a pilbara Stimson if so what are they called? if not what are the reasons why? What's dos the locality of stimson mean? How long do they live for?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Kat, Stimson's occur in differing localities all over the country except Tazzy and Victoria. A locality Stimson means that it shows colour and pattern traits from a certain locality ie; Broom, Pilbara, Windorah to name a few. Expect with the best of care that they can live + 20 years.

The simple answer as to whether you can breed a Broom locality and Pilbara Locality together is yes all the localities will breed together. Should you and what would you call them? Honestly that is your call, your animals your call. Myself I would not breed them together. I prefer to keep the localities pure, par-say, there are refinements you can make within each locality by line breeding. The reason I would keep them pure is that there is no real reason to cross them, I'm more into refining pure locality types. Biggest reason as to not mix the localities in my opinion is that down the track locality crosses, no matter what you sell them as, may eventually just be passed on as one locality or the other. The person buying them them believes that they have a certain locality and they breed them, pass on the crossed offspring as pure locality etc, etc, as you can see if this occurs often enough, and it does, soon we'll really not know what is a pure locality type.

What should they be called? If you must broom x Pilbara's.

Hope this helps

[MENTION=37475]katfunky88[/MENTION] if your looking at breeding you will be a few years off, in the mean time I recomend getting "keeping and breeding australian pythons" gecko dan has them for sale on his website.
Yes you can breed 2 different locals of stimmis, not many people do as they prefer one local animals, but not saying no one will buy them just be honest with what they are.
The locality is just the location the original animals were caught, alot of locations are very different looking to another ie nsw and wa look different to each other. They can live for 20+ years.

I think [MENTION=15197]Ships[/MENTION] has just about covered it. Before you start breeding though I would recommend you buy 'The Complete Childrens Python' which covers all aspects of Antaresia.

Mmm dam that first paragraph u made was a little mean.... Kinda feels like I'm kindy again undermining me because I'm new to this hmmm harsh.. Anyway each to there own thanks for the advise :)

Huh???

Where was anyone being a little mean or undermining?? I thought everyone so far had given great advice without any harshness.

Mmm dam that first paragraph u made was a little mean.... Kinda feels like I'm kindy again undermining me because I'm new to this hmmm harsh.. Anyway each to there own thanks for the advise :)

I don't see your point at all...

Kitten simply answered your first post.

You said you want to breed but can't find info, she said it won't be for a couple of years (your python is too young to breed) and suggested the perfect source of info.

There are plenty of blunt and condescending posts on this forum at times but have to agree that this one was not one. Maybe a misunderstanding as can sometimes also happen on a forum.

@RIpreston I did not say I was going to breed I asked a few question because I did not know the answers or facts about it my snakes are not ever mature yet only a year old the questions I asked where thought about while I was sitting on my bed reading so thanks to those who actually answered my questions with out the hassle of going out of there way :) I was not looking for advice on weather I'm ready to breed yet or not

Sorry if my post came across harsh, im on a mobile and it sucks trying to write long posts, it often cuts words in half etc on me so I try keep everything short so as to not have an unreadable reply that makes people want to throw a dictionary at me lol

@Kitten_ phenix thank u :) like I said I was a little over sensitive it was my bad also not a big deal as I have not cried over this lol it's hard being a newbie and iv been given the runaround from very experienced reptile keepers :( just frustrates me that no1 wants to help or give the right advice

@RIpreston I did not say I was going to breed I asked a few question because I did not know the answers or facts about it my snakes are not ever mature yet only a year old the questions I asked where thought about while I was sitting on my bed reading so thanks to those who actually answered my questions with out the hassle of going out of there way :) I was not looking for advice on weather I'm ready to breed yet or not

I'll agree with you that you are being a little sensitive....

Again, nobody is accusing you of anything at all, just trying to answer your questions. No need to be so abrasive, I was just giving my opinion on what Kitten had said.

I got the impression that you intend on breeding by you asking specifically for information about breeding your particular snakes, and by the fact you named this thread "breeding Stimson pythons".

Quite apart from that, I'm glad your questions have been answered.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

All the advice you have been given is correct

Breeding pythons is pretty easy
Getting rid of baby pythons can be much harder especially if they look ordinary
So either stick with one type or buy the best parents in Aus so that you can get a result mixing and matching

Well thanks all for your help hope u all have a lovely Christmas and new year :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back