Carpet Python Identification

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pixelboy

Reaction score
Hi all, I rescued a python from a Warwick Qld city street. And I need to know if it occurs naturally around this area before I release it into a nearby forest. As it could possibly belong to someone, and is naturally occurring elsewhere. Its temperament would suggest very little, if any human contact. Its only 3 feet in length, so I'm assuming it has juvenile markings. Be a great help if someone can positively ID this species and let me know its distribution. Thx.
python.jpg

its a black and white jungle IMO... I would assume its someones pet as they are from up further in qld.

Is there a possibility it could be a "
Morelia spilota mcdowelli" as I have seen pictures of this species with similar markings, and they occur through this area, although I can't say I have ever seen one in the wild here.

and its lack of people skills are pretty normal for a jungle...

Is there a possibility it could be a "
Morelia spilota mcdowelli" as I have seen pictures of this species with similar markings, and they occur through this area, although I can't say I have ever seen one in the wild here.

i wouldnt think so.

black and white jungle - Google Search

Morelia s. cheynei going by color / head shape and the fact I keep and breed both Morelia s. cheynei and Morelia s. McDowelli.

Head shape screams Jungle to me, most 3 foot jungles are snappy

The only problem is, being a very nice looking jungle at that, now that you have posted up a pic of it and pretty much where it was found it'd be hard to find the legit owner if it's someones pet as anyone could just reuse the info you posted.

Very pretty snake to come across, hope you find a good outcome with either release or rehome :)

its a jungle. ask around if anyone is missing a julatten.

I think you might be right, the julatten looks exactly like it. If anyone claims it is theirs, I will
ask to see the herp records they have of it, as well as the pics etc.

Contact the EPA/Derm rep in your area and I'm sure they would let U legally keep it or they would advise U what to do Cheers

Do not release this snake.
It does not come from the Warwick area. Not close. Its an escaped pet or banana box translaocation from North Queensland.

I think you might be right, the julatten looks exactly like it. If anyone claims it is theirs, I will
ask to see the herp records they have of it, as well as the pics etc.

He is right. there is no need to think about it... i said it back in post 3, it has been said through out the whole thread...

He is right. there is no need to think about it... i said it back in post 3, it has been said through out the whole thread...

From now on, if I have a herp related question, I'll just PM you rather than starting a new thread. Also, if someone has asked a question that I know the answer to, but you've already answered it, I'll be sure to hit the red X rather than kick start any narkiness.

From now on, if I have a herp related question, I'll just PM you rather than starting a new thread. Also, if someone has asked a question that I know the answer to, but you've already answered it, I'll be sure to hit the red X rather than kick start any narkiness.

I don't think she was being narky. Just pointing out that there is no need for the OP to still be unsure. Everyone has said the same thing. It's obviously a Jungle

Do not release this snake.
It does not come from the Warwick area. Not close. Its an escaped pet or banana box translaocation from North Queensland.

Hey Peter, the idea of banana box trans-location from North Qld, is probably spot on, as the snake was found crossing the road less than half a block from a fruit shop, see google earth map, red circle shows the fruit mart, and location of snake
snake location.jpg

Yes you were the first to say it, now you have the credit for it, cause thats what this is all about, being first and winning and looking like more of an expert than everyone else isn't it. Its kinda worth making sure and asking the question, because it is a life or death question for this snake.

Last edited:
I don't think she was being narky. Just pointing out that there is no need for the OP to still be unsure. Everyone has said the same thing. It's obviously a Jungle

I'm just messin', it's just annoying that once (certain) people have been on a forum for over 6 months their attitude changes to being a knowitall when they aren't. Knowing something and passing the info on is fine, but a few people know things, present the info in a rude manner and think they are genius'.

Btw OP, that snake is a Jungle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back