Children's python strange behaviour

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Schmerah

Reaction score
image.jpg
Female children's python does this in her tank every few weeks.
She is kept in a tank 60x45x45, has a 75 watt infrared light which is only turned on every now & then to increase temperature in tank. There's a heat mat under a third of her tank.
Temps in the tank range from 25-35 from one end to the other. Where she sits like that is 28 degrees.
She doesn't normally do this but around once a month she will. She will stay like this all night & then move around a little & come back. She doesn't rub her snout in the wire or anything but just sits in this position for hours.
Not sure what she is doing? Is she just hot? Is it because she's hungry?

Hey, fairly normal behaviour IMO. Snakes will cruise around untill they hit something then the next cause of action is to try and "go over it". Keep an eye on it and as long as it's not acting to frantic or seeming stressed out it should be fine. Looking at the pic though I would personally like to see a cage/cover over that bulb as I have seen snakes try and curl up around bulbs burning them extensively. But that may be another topic...
Back to the "climbing" I'm sure it's fine and it's just using every chance to "stretch it's legs"...

Is the lamp and or mat on any thermostat? What are ambient temps outside the enclosure.? And would there be anything outside the enclosure gaining its attention, (I.e mice/rats or pets around) although we are keeping population under control I know there is a mouse around my house and I notice this behaviour from my snakes when it's about.

Hope this helps,
Cheers, Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back