convincing mum to get a python?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
13 years ago, I wanted to get a snake. My wife said if we got a snake, she would divorce me. So we got a beardie instead. Now we have a house full of pythons, dragons, skinks, geckos and monitors. We are as addicted as each other now.
How many years did it take to get your 1st Python?
Can my wife come and visit your place and see that pythons are safe? (Thus assuming you are the same person who pm'd me a while ago)

I will give you some advice from a parents perspective and maybe you can take something away from it. Do not beg, as this will just make her dig her heels in even more, Do not try and trick her into it as parents will see right through your trickery and then the situation will become worse for you, do be honest in all your approaches to the subject, 1 of the first things you need to do is sit down with your mum with a nice cup of tea or coffee and ask your mum is it a fear of snakes that is causing her to say no all the time, or is it some other reason, i know with my son i would not even entertain the idea of him getting a snake before he was 16 because of so many broken promises, be honest with yourself and think about all the things you have told your mum you will do that never happened as this might also be in the back of her mind that if you lose interest after 6 months or so is she the 1 that will be left to look after the snake (so many kids start with great intentions but all sorts of other things change their minds) try and get your mother to do a joint project with you to source as much information as you can get and put it all together in a folio, then try and get her to a local breeder to handle a well behaved spotty hatchy, often being able to handle a small 1 can change their minds, make sure that in your research you include availability and prices of the feed items your snake will need also put in your research the locale of a reptile vet (ordinary vets can often misdiagnose reptile ailments) Above all when your mum says no it is usually for a good reason, we get no pleasure from saying no to our children. I don't know what your family situation is like but maybe a round table meeting with the whole family can get good (if not satisfactory) results, Remember everything we do is for your growth whether you agree at the moment or not. :) ............................Ron
Some very good honest advice.
Even at my age 37 I still think more open descision is better then nagging.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back