Corn Snakes

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The muumy and Daddy Diamonds would eat every last corn snake around before they made the little baby Diamonds.I do see your point though Fuscy 'ol matey. :wink:

I met a few breeders when I was looking around for a python and one of them had a red tailed Boa (I think from memory it was a red tailed one ?definitely a Boa just the same) I?d prefer to keep the name of the guy quiet, just in case he was telling me a wobbly. I asked him how on earth he gets away with keeping it, and he told me he owned it before the laws were made outlawing them (I don?t know? I?m just telling the story!) He said it was micro-chipped, he was banned from breeding it, selling it or anything without notifying the DSE, as it was classed as a pest. Absolutely beautiful snake to say the least, it?s such a shame they are banned when you see how beautiful they are! I don?t know personally about owning something like that in the long term though (don?t they grow absolutely huge??), I don?t own a 10X10 foot garage to keep it in, and I?d have to keep a head count on the kids in case one got eaten. Anyway, I?d like to comment that the government?s ban on these things is quite hypocritical. It shows just how much they know when they helped introduce Cane toads and Indian Myna birds (thanks a bucket load) ?that?s the pot calling the kettle black.The only thing its done is increased my wrist-rocket skills. Does anyone know the pro?s and con?s of micro-chipping snakes? I mean you can?t lose stuff that easily if it?s chipped can you???

the fact that indian myna birds and cane toads were introduced, helped the government to realise that introduced animals can have an impact on the Aussie environment. I don't think it is hypocrytical of them at all to ban exotic animals in Australia they have just learnt from their own mistakes.
I’d like to comment that the government’s ban on these things is quite hypocritical. It shows just how much they know when they helped introduce Cane toads and Indian Myna birds (thanks a bucket load) –that’s the pot calling the kettle black.

also it was not actually the government's fault for introducing cane toads, it was the sugar cane industry. (just finished a school assignment on cane toads) :)

We are not talking about introducing a species to the wild though which is what everyone is saying and using as an example,we are talking about responsible licensed herp keepers.

I find that hard to swallow. You won?t find any of them sticking their hand up for copping the blame for that one! Sugar was one of our biggest raw exports, who?d you think wanted to protect it??. I still reckon the Government would have had to put the little round stamp on the piece of paper to say it?s fine, go ahead and use your 101 toads! (I appreciate your assignment on it & your research, but?.Hmmm) The Myna ?bastard of a bird! Was another stuff up! Rubber stamp that one too! I?m sure it was introduced for cane beetles as well! (smart move) I appreciate they?ve learnt from their mistakes and slapped an across the board ban on everything. Surely there could be strict guidelines laid out in the form of compulsory chipping. Obviously there are people out there with these sorts of animals who would be deemed irresponsible and I?ve never seen any Corns or Boas zipping up & down my street! But my god, have I seen a crap load of damn Mynas! I also lived in Queensland for most of my life ?try not to trip over the toads at night o.k! Look, I?m just throwing up a healthy argument, I?m not fussed or looking for exotics like these, simply because, I reckon some of the Jungles & blackheads I?ve seen around compete with just about anything you?d find elsewhere in the world. However, if people still own these things illegally, and they aren?t likely to hand them over, something else needs to be done!

I have never claimed to be a responsible cat owner!!They keep the bird population down,them birds always poopin' on my Limo's.Hmmmmmmmm where's my sheet of asbestos??lol

The best way to get rid of Indian mynas is to have large populations of Rainbow lorikeets and Noisy Miners (not related). These are aggessive native birds that don't tolerate Indian miners and the way to attract them is to plant flowering gums and grevillias. I think Rainbow lorikeets are on the increase anyhow.

Funny you mention that Fuscus, I reckcon the lorikeets are on the increase as well! Since I have been seeing more RL I?ve been noticing less Mynas! Thought I must have rat-trapped them all!

This year in particular I noticed a whole lot of baby ones too. Even around bondi.

There must be something in the air. Horny little barstards. =)

What about the European carp or rabbits or foxes or even those red ear sliders that were recently in the news.
What do politicans have do gain by legalising exotics? It's hardly going to generate much revenue and it would be incredibly hard to police and regulate.Face it ,it's never going to happen.

nswpw should encourage more people to get reptile pets, then we could sleep at nite without yappy dogs. how come you dont see reptile food and products advertised on tv like cat and dog stuff. more wildlife shows too .why dont the rspca encourage native pets if they have to kill sdo many cats and dogs? more reptiles, less dog poo ,less bark, less dead wildlife.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back