Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

caustichumor

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Now everyone knows that in some locations the territories of coastal carpets and diamond pythons overlap,( resulting in breeding and offspring of natural intergrades, Port Macs ect.)
There was a thread about someone selling a Broadheaded crossed with a Stephen's banded on herp trader recently, Not knowing the NSW territories for these animals I posed the question as to weather they could cross breed in the wild. I was told that they don't overlap in territory so that was unlikely. But what other species do overlap and are compatable breeders? For example there would have to be some areas where M.S. Mcdowelli and M.S. Cheynei would come into direct contact. thus a natural range where the mixed breeds would be capable of existing
What other breeding compatible, territory overlapping species are there in nature?

You should read the sticky thread on intergrades, it explains them fairly well.

An intergrade is not the result of two completely seperate species meeting in the wild and producing offspring.

Yes well that is my point, take for example whip snakes could a black whip snake (Demansia Vestigiata) cross with a collared whip snake (Demansia Torquata) as they could come into direct contact. I was mearly asking for any examples of this happening in nature.

I believe basic genetics would state that animals within the same family can cross-breed. If they are from the same genus (e.g. Demansia) the offspring may then be able to breed, if they are from different genus then the offspring may not be able to breed (e.g. CarpetXWoma).

I think it would be unlikely for this to occur in nature without some form of human intervention as the locations where the natural home ranges overlap would produce the intergrade species detailed by bigguy. This likelyhood may be increased with gradual habitat destruction as home ranges for some animals may be forcibly move to coincide with other species.

This is to say nothing of different habitats of the various species.

I believe basic genetics would state that animals within the same family can cross-breed.

Basic genetics says nothing of the sort.

Families, genera and species have been allocated using a variety of characteristics over the years, many of them quite arbitrary. The more recent methods of classification based upon molecular genetics is more reliable in illustrating relationships, and how closely (or not) some species are related.

At the broadest, most general level, a species is sometimes defined as a self-sustaining genetically distinct population of individuals that is genetically isolated from other similar individuals.

The more closely related a species is to another species, the greater the probability that they can breed, and the greater the probablilty they will produce fertile offspring.

And something many people are unaware of - some species of animals (I can't remember examples because I'm at work) at opposite ends of a cline cannot produce viable offspring together, even though they are the same species.

:p

Hix

jungle carpets and the coastal carpets in their range will interbreed i believe, maybe black heads and womas aswell.

Touche` Hix.

I'll blame my hasty half !@#$ed response on being at work as well :)

And something many people are unaware of - some species of animals (I can't remember examples because I'm at work) at opposite ends of a cline cannot produce viable offspring together, even though they are the same species.

One example I believe is Herring gulls in the northern hemisphere. Those found in England can breed successfully with those on mainland Europe, then these can breed with those further east around into Russia, then those on the east coast of Russia can breed with those found in Alaska.... so on as you head East around the north pole until you get to Greenland and Iceland. Following this trend, those gulls found in Iceland should be able to breed with those found in England, but they cannot. I can't remember the specifics of why, guess I need to do more revision before my exam next week, haha.

Any elapid experts here?? I was told that brown could breed with tiger.
Can you tell me if this is so?
That would be a nasty cross..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back