culling a severely deformed p vitticeps hatchling

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

alex_c

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
hi all i have a hatchie that is completely stuffed for example no use of back legs,no visible vent and a coiled tail:( and has to be culled what is the procedure for this?

Do it humanely!

If you a re not confident to do it, get someone who is. I would break its neck.

poor thing. Not sure how to help it sorry.
Good luck,
Dave

he can get around with his front legs and looks like a normal happy hatchling apart from his problems but the no vent problem will be his downfall:(

No freezer is never humane. Formation of ice crystals in the blood etc is meant to cause extreme pain.

I'd go with heavy blut trauma to the head.

No freezer is never humane. Formation of ice crystals in the blood etc is meant to cause extreme pain.

I'd go with heavy blut trauma to the head.

But wouldn't a cold blooded animal go unconcious before reaching freezing temps?

Freezer is ok- will die before ice forms... or just hit is hard with a large rock on a hard surface...
not easy to do emotionally

Oh, yeah that's probably true waruikazi... But personally I'd still go with the blunt trauma. Much faster and the lizard won't even know anything is wrong. Just lights out.

I don't know that blunt force would have the same effect as it has on mammals like rats. I remember seeing a snake get bludgoned to death when i was a young fella. Blunt force had to be applied several times and it looked pretty painful.

Surely if you applied the trauma correctly it'd be just as fast. The snake probably was being attacked, not humanely put down right?

Bhp or hammer. Say "love and light" and "sorry little fella". You are doing it a favour.

Surely if you applied the trauma correctly it'd be just as fast. The snake probably was being attacked, not humanely put down right?

Being bludgoned to death is usally not a recognised form of euthenasia lol :lol:

Well exactly. Alex will be doing it humanely, and aiming for the brain case. Unlike the snake killers who (assumedly) were just bashing their quarry...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back