DIY heat mat.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

user 16324

Reaction score
This guy has some great reptile setups and i would advise anyone to check them out. Im not taking any credit for this but i thought a lot of people on here would be interested in his DIY heat mat.

[video=youtube;wAE4OneiNHY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAE4OneiNHY&feature=feedu[/video]

If he is on this forum site and doesn't want me to post this just PM me. i will happily take it off if that is the case.

What a "great" idea.
........solar 17 (Baden)...ps is that board called "core flute"

Awesome, so simple yet so effective, did anyone else have the "why didn't I think of that" moment too?

can anyone see anything that could go wrong with this?
like what if you did this in a series of say 5 or something (5 different mats)
where would you suggest putting the thermostat in a series. at start end middle doesnt matter?
it seems like such a genious idea. the sizes are a bit dettering. :S

Good idea wonder if you could use that stuff as like a heat panel as well

Cheers Brenton

This is grate! I have some of this stuff in my shed, I'm gonna try it out as a heat panel by sticking insulation tape on one side of he panel (the side facing the roof of the enclosure), to try and focus the heat down and building a frame around it to tidy up the edges.
This guys a genius, so simple, yet so effective. I'm so glade he decided to share this and no I'm not going to be taking credit for it.

can anyone see anything that could go wrong with this?
like what if you did this in a series of say 5 or something (5 different mats)
where would you suggest putting the thermostat in a series. at start end middle doesnt matter?
it seems like such a genious idea. the sizes are a bit dettering. :S

If i was to do it i would have one heat chord and one thermostat per mat. just to avoid any overheating but if all of the mats are off of the one heat chord you would expect them all to reach the same temps wouldn't you? if you had the same amount and same spacing of heat chord in each mat?

If i was to do it i would have one heat chord and one thermostat per mat. just to avoid any overheating but if all of the mats are off of the one heat chord you would expect them all to reach the same temps wouldn't you? if you had the same amount and same spacing of heat chord in each mat?

well thats what i was thinking! that they would all reach same temp no matter where it is along the series. i guess a couple of days of testing would probably answer any questions but i dont see the cord giving off any different heats along its length.

another question. what wattage heat cord would be acceptable as to not melt the flute board
(by the way its also called flute board purchased from bunnings for $5 a meter or something - i purchased some today)

Remember it needs to be at least 10mm holes. I'm not sure if the bunnings stuff is thick enough to take the end of the cord or a thermostat probe? Hope I'm wrong though for your sake.
I got some today too. 4 sheets of 1200x600x10. Got it from a sign printing place in Osbourne Park. Should be able to make a few :)
Will take some pictures of how it goes on the weekend.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got a 9m heat cord off ebay for like 39 dollars free postage 85 watt so i will try with that i reckon

well thats what i was thinking! that they would all reach same temp no matter where it is along the series. i guess a couple of days of testing would probably answer any questions but i dont see the cord giving off any different heats along its length.

another question. what wattage heat cord would be acceptable as to not melt the flute board
(by the way its also called flute board purchased from bunnings for $5 a meter or something - i purchased some today)

Id say you would be more interested in how close you space the heat cord and it would depend on the size of the heat mat. just make sure the heat cord is long enough for the size heat mat you want.

Last edited:
sign making shops you might be able to get some free cut offs that would work?, hardware stores, cheap stores, etc.

I dont want to make a heat mat, but rather a basking shelf. I'm going to see if this is as good as a tile over routed wood.

Thats such a great idea, will be trying it out for sure, I have heat cords everywhere here.

If any one finds out where to buy it in Melbourne in single sheets please let me know, found stacks of suppliers but you have to buy in either pallets or packs of 10.

Last edited:
Great idea, nice and simple! Much easier than routing out a piece of wood too. You could make it a little neater if you cut the vertical plastic out of the ends where the cord goes around (so the corner of the cord is still inside the corflute/fluteboard), though you'd have to be careful not to leave sharp edges which might cut into the heat cord.

I have a few of questions...

What material is the interior of this board made of?
What sort of conductivity/insulation properties does it have?
Alternatively, is there air flow to offset heat build-up before it occurs?
What temperature does the cord reach?

Blue

Last edited by a moderator:
How thick is the stuff they use for For Sale signs...? It'd certainly be a cheaper option than trying to find somewhere to buy it :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back