Do females also have spurs ?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

COOP

Reaction score
As the topic post says, do female pythons hace spurs near their nether regions?????

They sure do. Some say the claws are often much larger on a male, however, this not a reliable way to determine their sex.

They sure do. Some say the claws are often much larger on a male, however, this not a reliable way to determine their sex.

I agree.. you cant reliably determine sex by spur sizes. males usually use their spurs to tickle the females before copulation. Ive been lucky enough to see this myself and show my girlfriend when weve had a good view of a male and female..

amazing sight to see them pursue a female with this spur tickling. this particular male was later locked up with the female for over 18 hours after his foreplay :lol:

Yes they do,ive got a female here and by looks of her spurs you swear shes amale,big spurs...As Ewan suggested not a reliable way to determine the sex of a snake thou..

Colin. Did you witness the spur flicking in a Jungle male? As you know I paired up my BHPs for the first time this year and as soon as the male went in his spurs flicked and flicked like crazy. He was constantly trying to court her.

Colin. Did you witness the spur flicking in a Jungle male? As you know I paired up my BHPs for the first time this year and as soon as the male went in his spurs flicked and flicked like crazy. He was constantly trying to court her.

yes mate. it was an older male that I'd bought from someone else and put in with one of my females the season before last..
they were right up against the glass so we got a good view of the spur tickling.. amazing stuff isnt it?

haha I saw it happen this year lol, funny thing to watch I put my older male in with my big girl and he was very tence at first till he pokes his head in her box. her head was out of the box and all of a sudden it looked like he was trying to mount her face lol she didn't seam to be impressed lol. it took him rouphly 2 hours to work out which end was up then they whent for it for 12 hours.

Spur size means nothing, it's the shape and placement of the spurs that indicates the sex of a python, males have hooked ends, down to a sharp point, and also the males spurs are often further away from the cloacal scale than a females who spurs are often almost covered by the cloacal scale... These signs are indicators only and can vary from species to species, snake to snake and it takes some experience to know what your looking at, some snakes can be easily 100% correct sexed by these means, other snakes need to be backed up by probing, and that method isn't always 100% either...
I see "spuring" almost every week, I have a MD doing right now, it's a common sight.

Saw the spurs on my "female" bredli last night they are back abit from the cloacal scale and to the side and it looks just like a cats claw just smaller and was moving them around. Sounds like she mite be a he what do u all think?

Saw the spurs on my "female" bredli last night they are back abit from the cloacal scale and to the side and it looks just like a cats claw just smaller and was moving them around. Sounds like she mite be a he what do u all think?

It's not that easy to tell, after looking at 100 or more sets of spurs and then confirming it by probing or breeding you will gain a 3/4 idea (as everyone as a half an idea = 50%)

Ive got a female here and her spurs are just as big as one of the males,defiantly not a good way to determine the sex of them....MARK

Ive got a female here and her spurs are just as big as one of the males,defiantly not a good way to determine the sex of them....MARK

The size of the spurs has little to do with it, it's their shape and the placement of them in relation to the cloacal scale that is different between males and females.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back