Enclosure heating help

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Lambbosbread

Hey guys and girls,ok so I have purchased a 4 month old varanus gouldii, I will be picking it upon around 2 weeks . I have built a melamine enclosure with glass sliders. The dimensions are 2000mm L x 1600mm H x 1200mm W and I'm not entirely sure on the amount heating lights I will need and what wattage, the domes I have are exo terra glo light large. I will be buying another fitting for the basking area. I know the ambient temps and the basking temps I'm just unsure on what size bulbs would be needed to reach that ambient temp and what bulbs are the best to use. I know it's mixed arguments on UVB but I will be wanting to use them as I am in Melbourne and the enclosure will be inside .Any help would be great,thanks Ryan.

Definitely use a UV globe, I recently had a checkup at the VET and he highly recommended a UV globe for my coastal/diamond snake. I already had one in place so it wasn't an issue. I am also curious about correct wattage for my enclosure. My enclosure is 900 x 600 x 600 and I'm using a 100W infa red heat globe. I'm curious if a 75W would be OK. I've also got a similar setup for 2 pigmy bearded dragons also with a 100W globe, not sure if I should run a 75W globe instead.

Something that big Lambbosbread, Id be using at least a 150 watt at the basking end so that the surface temps are up around 50 degrees, and perhaps even a 70 watter at the other end to keep it around a constant 25. Itll depend alot on how many vents you have in the enclosure.
Your gouldii will want to burrow, so make sure youve designed the enclosure with at least a 200mm deep floor, and at least another 100mm above that to try to avoid inevitable sand in your tracks. Youll have to experiment a little until you get the right temps. Remember, hell burrow to keep cool if he needs or wants to.
With such a high enclosure all that heat is going to rise to the top. Monitors like it HOT. You shouldnt have any trouble with using high wattage bulbs.

CC_Viper, you shouldnt need a UV globe for a snake. Just as you shouldnt need a UV globe for your monitor (although theres certainly no harm). Both animals feed on whole foods (or at least should be fed on whole foods) and get the required vitamins and minerals from the food items' organs. Calcium suppliments can be added to occasional meals for your monitor though.
Id stick with the 100w for the dragons. If theyre under it directly, then they want to be there. Dont change anything. As for the coastal, Id switch to heat cord (or a heat mat if youre not concerned with possible fires) as it will provide the heat directly underneath the snake over a larger surface area. A much better choice for this animal.

Id simply for the larger wattage you can easily source and use a quality dimming thermostat- i use 200w ceramic heat emitters on my high enclosures).
That way the enclosure will get up to temp quickly and will stay there, as only enough wattage will be sent to the heat device to maintain the required temperature.

Id simply for the larger wattage you can easily source and use a quality dimming thermostat- i use 200w ceramic heat emitters on my high enclosures).
That way the enclosure will get up to temp quickly and will stay there, as only enough wattage will be sent to the heat device to maintain the required temperature.

Until your microclimate fails on and cooks the animal ;). It is a much better idea to pick a wattage at or just above what is required to give you the temps you need.

Some interesting advice in this thread. Using UV for a monitor because a get said it should be used for a python. Putting a 70W heater at the cool end... Interesting indeed

iv got three spencers monitors and in all 3 enclosures I just have 2 timers, a 100 watt floodlight raise the basking spot up off the ground so its got a few different basking positions, and a heat matt for night time . I have been using uv lights also but only because a vet said that I should for a spencers, but it doesn't sound like I need to be using them....Is that right Saximus ?

Why are all these vets suggesting UV?? If it's eating whole prey items there should be no need for it. Of course it won't hurt and people like to have them "just in case" but plenty of very experienced keep them without it

instead of running one high wattage globe/ceramic heat emitter id run a couple of lower wattage ones , as it will reduce the chance of thermal burns . you need to setup all your branches and hides then install the heating - this is my opinion only .

As I already said above, I agree that the UV isnt necessary for any of the species talked about here.
My comment on the low wattage heat at the other end should be taken with caution, on second inspection. While I monitor (no pun intended) every one of my enclosures, at various times of the day, at various ambient temps, all year round to make sure the temperature can never exceed a safe level, I perhaps shouldnt give that sort of advice without knowing much about the keeper who may take it on board without taking precautions. Point taken Saximus.

Ill amend my advice to: a high wattage globe or (like it was suggested) a number of smaller wattage globes for better heat distribution would be fine. If the surface temps at the basking site are in a good range and the ambient temps are at an appropriate gradient, then all should be well. UV is not necessary.
Monitor the temperatures all throughout the cage. If your monitor hides somwhere cool on a regular basis, your temps may be too high. If he stops eating, your temps may be too low.

Hey guys thanks for the responses , so with the two exo terra domes I have would u recommend using two low wattage heat lights, or one medium wattage heat light and one small CHE? On the right of the enclosure I have 150 watt basking bulb with just a ceramic fitting .

- - - Updated - - -

The first 450mm high of the enclosure and 1100mm length will be used for its digging. I'm making I guess you could call it a sand box for it . The side that isn't used will just have a floor were I will be using big rocks/boulders for it's basking spot, and I'm thinking maybe angle grinding one of the big rocks to make it like a pool type area cause they love sitting in water.. But that's just a thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back