Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Henric, I can see absolutely no reason why licensed breeders can't sell legally bred offspring overseas. I have thought about it and I really can't see a single reason why not. To be fair many of our laws are somewhat hard to understand. All it does is promote illegal import and export.

How many snakes would die in the transport oversea's there is 1 reason for you. Movement of diseases would be another.

I guess no more would die being transported overseas than would die being transported within this country.
Like any other animal quarantine would have to be observed.

Ezotics

I read in my local paper that a guy got busted last month with an American snapping Turtle at his house

$110.000 fine :shock:

Whilst the occassional newsreport is good, we need to hit these people big time, especially the breeders. Not only a fine, and a lifetime ban from keeping reptiles, but publicly be shown on TV, so others know we mean business. They need to catch a good number at one time to get the message to hit home and get public awareness at the same time IMHO.

$110,000 WOW, are you sure ? $110 would be more usual.

I read in my local paper that a guy got busted last month with an American snapping Turtle at his house

$110.000 fine :shock:

Transported within the country and transport outside the country are no where near the same Boa. Be realistic, yes quarentine would be observed but many more would die on a trip overseas than would die being moved around the country.

I wonder if it was paper talk or that they were talking about maximum fines possible.
Mayo, there is absolutely no reason to assume animals would die in transit, I'm being very realistic. I'm not talking about shipping wild caught stressed animals crammed into little bags a 100 to a box. Reptiles are routinely shipped between breeders all around the world.

Transported within the country and transport outside the country are no where near the same Boa. Be realistic, yes quarentine would be observed but many more would die on a trip overseas than would die being moved around the country.

how would that happen? Reptiles and all animals are shipped around the world every day without problems so why would sending something overseas be any different than shipping interstate?

There is an expected loss in sending animals overseas. Shipping sheep they expect that only 60% will make it alive, never seen the stats on reptiles but I'm sure that losses would occur more regularly sending them overseas than sending them around the country.

You are comparing sticking 3000 sheep on a ship for X number of weeks to a reptile carefully packed in a suitable box on a plane for maybe 24 hours ?

I reckon exotics are great, those girls down at the pink pussy cat club... phwoar!!!!!

Mayo,

Smuggled animals die in transit in high numbers, but animals being ship above board arent really a problem, Zoos all around the world exchange animals including reptiles...

That's right, we aren't talking about sticking a snake in a postal tube and trusting it to the Post Office.

I think exporting Natives reptiles would only serve to reduce the value of illegal smuggled animals and are constantly leaving the country anyways.

I disagree, animals are always dying in transit, there is no need to send our snakes overseas, and no need to breed or import exotics in the country. Those cought doing so should be paying high fines and recieving criminal records. Yes it will probably continue but it would put many off getting caught with exotics in there collections. JMO

Mayo,

You do know Australian Zoo/Fauna Parks etc..

Do currently export Australias Native Reptiles, to some small degree.

While i kinda agree that no "need" exists to export our reptiles, but then i dont think a "need" exists for private reptile keeping either.

Within a period of 20 hours a reptile could with ease be exported DOOR to DOOR, from Australia to say North America.

I in no way want t see things imported into Australia, but im very sure large sums of money would be paid for locality known animals in the USA and Europe

I worked at Sydney Aquarium for a while I no full well that it happens and I no that not all will make it alive, and see no point in sending them for someones personal collections. But once again everything is about money to be made. Not saying you Australis but let's face it, it comes down to greed and money. Zoo's I can understand, and I have no problem with zoo's doing it. All just my opinion but I would prefer that we kept Aust species in Aust, and heavily fined those caught with exotics, and gave them a criminal record. It may still continue but they would be far more carefull and I think fewer people would purchase them if the consequences were heavier

The only reason i could see that a reptile would die in transit i gross neglect in packing and transport or an existing problem. Ppl get transported in a similar way and not many ppl die on planes.

I would prefer if it was legal to export animals for one reason, because its better for the animals.
Other reason i dont really care for are the destruction of the criminal export trade and the ability for ppl overseas to enjoy our beutiful wildlife(well what they dont have already).

Back onto the topic of the thread ppl are already legally keeping heaps of animals that arnt native to their area and these can have the exact same effects as exotic species when they get into the wild although not to the same extent.

Does someone want to start a petition for legalising exotics? and/or opening up legal import and export of selected herps?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back