First Snake Enclosure

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chazz

Reaction score
Im converting an old TV unit into a larger enclosure for a 3 year old bredli python.
This is the first snake I have owned so still a bit of a novice.
I have substrate for her from the pet shop which is the same as what was given to me from the original owner. My question is for the other levels is it okay to leave them just flat? Or should I install edging on them to prevent the substrate from going everywhere?
Also I have spare unused fake grass from my bearded dragons, can I use some of that or would she not like it?

Also I want a branch for her to climb, as at the moment she keeps climbing up to sleep tangled in the light fitting of her temp home. I have a big gum tree out the back with some awesome dead branches that I can take down. Would they be okay to go in with her?

Sorry for all the questions. As I said I'm new to this and I really want to make sure she has the best enclosure possible.

Thanks

Hi Chazz, Welcome to APS!

Earlier this year I converted a TV unit for my Rough Scaled Python. The results can be seen here https://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/threads/next-project-conversion.218222/

I'd recommend a border along the bottom of the enclosure to ensure your substrate stays inside the enclosure when the doors are opened.

Using branches from trees in your backyard is fine... I would clean them thoroughly and then spray with f10 to ensure any nasties are eliminated prior to use.

I'd also recommend having a look in the DIY section of the forum as it will give you some great ideas and ask lots of questions as there are many experienced keepers on the forum.

4b1a2cb7769da745b6b0ca21f157e226.jpg

This is what I'm converting. I've got the other door and glass for the front as well as edging for the bottom, just not sure if I should be edging the shelves or not too.
I've got fake grass I could put on the shelves, leave as is, edge them and substrate and or do two coats of marine paint for easy cleaning?
Too many ideas going through my head and not sure which will be best for my girl.

Sent from my E2053 using Tapatalk

Because of the lack of depth, I would remove the shelves and dividers entirely if possible. That will give you a lot more space to work with and you'll be able to create a nice temperature gradient from one side of the enclosure to the other. This will also give you far more space to place branches in the enclosure and platforms for basking. And also hides, you'll need a few in an enclosure this size.

One long border along the bottom and one on each side will give you somewhere to run the tracks for the door. And the extra space along the back can be more easily utilized for vents.

I'd also sand it right back, coat the inside with two or three coats of pond sealer (in your choice of color) and then stain the outside to suit the room it'll be situated in.

I've been looking for something like this for a conversion for one of my guys.... and that's just how I'd go about it!

Seal any branches that you cut down, I use water based varnish. Use a wooden gap filler to seal any holes and cracks, give it a quick sand then paint on the varnish. Sealing the branch will eliminate breeding places for pests. Have you considered using newspaper as a substrate? It's easy to change regularly, so hygiene is easy to maintain. The fake grass would need to be regularly washed with disinfectant and left to dry in the sun. How will you be heating the enclosure? How will you be setting up hides? How will you be setting up UVA/UVB?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back