First snake, Stimson or Children's python?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Conor55

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have recently been allowed to get a pet snake and I have done some research. I'm not sure what snake is best for beginner, a Stimson or children's python. I like the look of Stimson pythons better but I would rather have a snake that I can look after easier than one that looks better.

Thanks
Conor

Last edited by a moderator:
I have also recently been allowed to get a snake, and also had the decision of either a children's or a Stimson. I have asked around what is better in terms of care, and from what I have understood is that they are both relatively the same, except that Stimson's are more expensive. But if you are set on a smaller snake, take note that they generally don't have the best temperament compared to bigger snakes. On the other hand, every snake has its own personality. I ended up choosing a Murray Darling, simply because they are more docile. Each is different though. I hope that helped a little, Best of luck!!

Choose what ever you like the look of. In terms of ease of care, you can't get much easier than a stimson's or childrens. My first python was a Stimson and she is a puppy dog now. Take note though size doesn't necessarily determine how docile a snake is so just go with whatever you like the look of.

Either Stimson or childreni however if you like the look of the Stimson then go this way. If you can get a snake a few months old that is feeding correctly. At that age they will still be bitey but it doesn't hurt with there tiny teeth. After a few weeks it will settle down and you will have yrs of bite free care. They are also the smallest genus of pythons so won't get very big no matter which way you go

Thanks for the help. I was just wondering about the cost of an enclosure for it. I know to put the snake in a click clack container when it i still small and young but for the bigger enclosure what would be the cheapest option? I have read people using fish tanks but then I read somewhere else that they release to much heat. What would be the best and cheapest option available

Best and cheapest would be to DIY, or im sure a member on here could fix you up, IMO i wouldn't use a glass tank, like you said it loses heat pretty quickly.

Keep looking on the classifieds people are always selling cages I don't know legal sizes where you are but I keep my adult childreni in 600w 450d 600 h and have multiple levels cause they do like to climb

My first was a spotted was great until it got out a few times (Spotteds are escape artists) but is a cranky bugger now, I also have a Childrens which is just awesome never once has it even looked like striking I can even put his food in right next to his head and he won't eat till I've moved my hand out. My 3 kids love holding him too and he is happy to sit there and loves belly rubs. That said each snake has it's own personality so often the right one picks you.

I too am getting my first hatchie next season. Like you, I have narrowed it down to the Antaresia breeds of Stimson or Children's. Agree with Ausreptiles101 to choose what you like the look of. As someone wrote in another thread "wait for something you really like because an ugly snake costs just as much to house and feed as a beautiful one". (A little harsh, but there's some truth in there)... Anyway, as an experienced friend told me "your first bite will be such an anti-climax", sure hatchies can be snappy and different breeds have their temperaments but with regular handling and a bit of expertise you can bring the best out of them. His proof was in a yearling water python that would strike at the glass on it's viv whenever he walked past, and now it's beautiful and calm (except when there's a mouse in the room!) as with all his other snakes most of which aren't even head shy

Most hatchies are typically snappy but Antaresia species usually are docile from the day they hatch to the day they pass (Hence recommended for beginners). Even if they do bite, their teeth don't break skin enough to hurt or draw blood.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back