Getting bitten

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

adazz

Reaction score
The recent first snake bite thread just got me thinking about this, now i've had my snake for a while and he's not a hatchy anymore but he's still flighty and I doubt he'll ever become a calm snake. What my problem is i've never been bitten :) I'm in no way scared of being bitten but getting over the initial instinct to pull away is hard so therefore freehandling him as much is an issue, especially removing him from the enclosure. How did people get over this?

I would stand at the cage, and either close my eyes and stick my hand straight in and leave it there for him to get used to... That way if he bit I wouldn't see it happening so I wouldn't react fast enough to pull away and hurt his teeth...
The other way was to just stand there and take a few deep breaths, psych myself up, and just go for it and focus on picking him up rather than if I got bitten...

mmmm the closed eyes thing isn't a bad idea actully, tyvm :)

I agree with seamus. Put your hand in and don't look if your reflex is to pull away. The best thing for me was to get bitten a fair bit. Now I know what to expect.
I must say that I'm only getting bitten by small pythons though - nothing big yet.

The recent first snake bite thread just got me thinking about this, now i've had my snake for a while and he's not a hatchy anymore but he's still flighty and I doubt he'll ever become a calm snake. What my problem is i've never been bitten :) I'm in no way scared of being bitten but getting over the initial instinct to pull away is hard so therefore freehandling him as much is an issue, especially removing him from the enclosure. How did people get over this?
Why dont you use a hook to get it out? And once out keep it away from your face. Better to get tagged on the arm than on the cheekbone and eyebrow. ;)Never been bitten by your flighty snake? Pretty lucky. What is it?

I would stand at the cage, and either close my eyes and stick my hand straight in and leave it there for him to get used to... That way if he bit I wouldn't see it happening so I wouldn't react fast enough to pull away and hurt his teeth...
The other way was to just stand there and take a few deep breaths, psych myself up, and just go for it and focus on picking him up rather than if I got bitten...
Bit hard to get em out with your eyes closed if they're wrapped around something. Probably asking to get bitten:lol:

haha my first ever bite was when i was picking him i looked a tthem and go i like this one

ANTARESIA1: hes a good feeder wanna hold?
Me: Yea ok *gets bit* ahhaha

It's a very good question as most people's first instinct is to pull away. I've found that to just get it into your head that you may get bitten, it's not that bad and your snake's welfare is your first concern.

It's not as bad as you think. Even my male hypo bredli that goes crazy when I take him out isn't that bad (although it looks like I need a blood transfusion when I'm done) lol

Put the snake in a pillow case and then stick your arm in. You won't see it but it stops the snake escaping if you have an open enclosure and your eyes closed.

if ur quicker than the snake it wont have time to bite u!

my main fear is hurting the snakes teeth by pulling back,...wear long sleeves pulled down over ur hands if ur worried, thats how i overcame my reaction problems. :)

If the problem only occurs when your picking him up just use a snake hook or coathanger to pic him up. I use my snakes favourite stick lol to get him to come play just because i am worried if i reach in and grab i will hurt him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back