Heat Mats

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimmy4122

Reaction score
Hi all
I have a Bredli python and was just wondering about heat mats in a wooden tank for him...
The previous owner of the tank i have used a heat mat in the tank with astro turf as a substrate, what do you all think?? and any thoughts on how I could put the heat mat in the tank without the risk of shortages, faults, etc...
Thanks!

Hello,
I'd only really recommend using a heat mat for a glass enclosure, or one with a glass base (like reptile one make), because the mat has to sit outside the tank. It can't be inside otherwise you risk your reptile being burnt.
Is it a melamine enclosure? If so I'd recommend caged heat lamps. Heat mats are only really used for hatching carpet pythons, they eventually get to a large size where a lamp will heat them better anyways.
Also, I'm not sure if you're intending to use astro turf as a substrate, but I'd recommend against it if you are. Something like newspaper or loose bark like substrates are much better,

hope this helps :)

If you want to supply belly heat, a low wattage heat cord between tiles is the home made version of a heat mat; perfect for wooden tanks.
Coil the cord on one tile taping it in place with electrical tape, and place the other tile over it; you can hold it in place with a little silastic or similar.

Hello,
I'd only really recommend using a heat mat for a glass enclosure, or one with a glass base (like reptile one make), because the mat has to sit outside the tank. It can't be inside otherwise you risk your reptile being burnt.
Is it a melamine enclosure? If so I'd recommend caged heat lamps. Heat mats are only really used for hatching carpet pythons, they eventually get to a large size where a lamp will heat them better anyways.
Also, I'm not sure if you're intending to use astro turf as a substrate, but I'd recommend against it if you are. Something like newspaper or loose bark like substrates are much better,

hope this helps :)

Yes thanks!
I have a heat lamp in there as well, but wasn't sure if I should put a heat mat on too.
Also do you mind if I ask what thermostat you use? I have a eco tech at the moment, but I have read that microclimates and habistat are the way to go...

If you want to supply belly heat, a low wattage heat cord between tiles is the home made version of a heat mat; perfect for wooden tanks.
Coil the cord on one tile taping it in place with electrical tape, and place the other tile over it; you can hold it in place with a little silastic or similar.

Thanks I'll have to try this soon!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back