Heating Problems

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stuffandthat

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I'm re-doing my enclosure for my two Nephrurus Levis. It's a URS 60x40x45. I had a heat mat (connected to a thermostat) underneath the tank covering half the bottom but the temps on the warm end on top of 1 inch of sand was only around 26 degrees max. I was thinking of changing it to a heat cable and running the cable in loops. Would this be a better way of heating? Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Maybe you need a higher wattage heat mat. Also, I found that some polystyrene under the heat mat helped direct the heat when we had some thicktailed geckos.

Maybe you need a higher wattage heat mat. Also, I found that some polystyrene under the heat mat helped direct the heat when we had some thicktailed geckos.

I'd be cautious about using polystyrene in conjunction with heat mats of any wattage I've seen scorched tabletops and cracked glass from even a 7W heatmat. If it didn't cause a fire, at the very least the toxic fumes given off by overheated polystyrene will do significant damage.

Jamie

A higher wattage heat mat will mean that the size of the mat is bigger and will cover more of the enclosure. Is there any problems with putting the heat mat or cable on the inside of the enclosure?

Normally putting a mat or cord (most commonly a cord) inside the tank involves fixing between 2 tiles.

Hmm I hadn't thought of that. I might try a heat cable and if that doesn't work then I'll try the tile idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back