Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NRE-808

Reaction score
Hey all :) My name is Ian and i have loved snakes for the better part of my life and am looking pretty seriously into getting my license and setting myself up to get one.

I have my heart set on either a Atherton Jungle or Southwest Carpet Python but i have since seen a few other species on here that i really like the look of ie: the Bredli.

I am just looking for some advice in regards to my living situation suiting a snake, encloser type and it's internals (flooring, branches, hiding items etc)

I am living temporarilly with my parents who have 2 cats and 2 dogs, i'm mainly worried about the cats stressing the snake out, should they notice it at all. After doing a bit of reading on here, i am leaning towards waiting for a bit till i am away from the cats etc...

As i have said, i am living with them temporarilly and am planning to go somewhere to work in a mine, would the move stress the snake out too much?

All advice, pointers, ideas etc are more than welcome.

Ian :)

Hi and welcome Ian! I have friend who has 3 naughty cats that are very interested in his coastal python... They certainly notice (they sit for hours in front of his enclosure, watching and trying to play with the "thing" behind the glass) the python, but don't seem to stress it out... Could be that the python is used to the cats attention, but i'm not really sure. My suggestion though would be to wait till you're 'cat-free' if worried about it. I personaly wouldn't let a cat anywhere near my snake.

Welcome to the site Ian.
Go for it I say :D Perhaps you might consider a superior python such as an olive or water python though :wink:

You could always get a 20foot Scrubby! That would take care of your cat issue...

hiya

well i guess it may depend on the cats what are theyre behaviour like
are they interested in anything that moves?

i have a cat the most attention it pays to my pythons is when its feeding time and i start getting the mice out :)
other than that it doesnt go near the enclosures

then again i think it got used to em as the first week i had my python it kept checking out the python and after a week it was bored with it and doesnt go near it anymore (i think it will depend more or less on the cat really)

i think it would be a lot better for the snake if i waited til i move out of here. There are 2 cats, one loves watching things move, the other likes eating things that move :) ihave threatened already to feed my mothers cats to the snake when i get it :) not serious of course... worries her a bit though :)

I just read a post regarding a poor costal that was sold privately and unwell... are there any breeders, businesses etc that come highly recommended by a lot of people?
Also, recommended books for me to look for to increase my knowlege juices so i am both better prepared and have a better idea on what to do when it comes time.

like i said :) all information, hints and tips and advice are more than welcome :)

thanks all

Ian

Welcome to the site Ian.

The first book to get is John Weigel's Care of Australian Reptiles in Captivity, it is a very good one to start off with.

There are a few breeders on here that are pretty good, some people here (definately not me :wink: ) have been keeping reptiles for decades.

There is a trading Feedback on this site under Discussion Forums.
By the way ...welcome!!

i live in Warwick, QLD at the moment, its only temparary as i plan to move somewhere to work in a mine... dunno where yet...

i will have to check out the trader feedback :) i've been reading alot of advice today... trying to increase my brain meats :)

thanks all for the warm welcome

Ian

I have a cat who a few years ago took a great interest in a 7' 6" Fem Coastal! The problem happened when the coastal broke out of her enclosure whilst I was away at work, and escaped in the house. My wife actually heard the snake escape because our cats, (one has since ran away) let out a huge scream that chilled my wifes bones. She ran out of bed to see my coastal entering the garage through a open connecting door.
The cats were freaking out big time so she proceeded to pat the half grown kitten to calm it's nerves as it was the most distressed. As she stroked the cat to calm it down she felt a lump under the cats chin. Upon closer inspection she removes a 5mm long fish bone like tooth.
To cut a long story short, I returned home that afternoon, recaptured my snake which was hiding in some packing boxes in the garage and identified the object removed from the cats chin as a snake tooth!!!
That cat later ran off when I moved interstate but the older cat is still freaked out by snakes and doesn't even like chasing cord or rope when you play with her. lol

Im in QLD also.. :D

What mine are you looking to work in?

Might be a pain in the **** keeping a snake in a "donga" in camp, i know a guy who wasnt very popular, because he kept a few snakes in his donga :shock:

Matt

i have no iea what mine yet, i think i'd probably try to live off site at this stage so keeping a snake wouldnt intrude on people too much. plus, i like my privacy too much to be cramped into a little donga..... its a little while away at this stage.

i realise that this might seem to be a fairly stupid question but, when i look around, most of the places selling/breedind JCPs sell them in pairs. There are a few other species that are getting sold in pairs as well and as they are from the same hatch, i cant image it'd be for breeding reasons... just wondering why that is?

Ian

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back