How To Make A Hide

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

saximus

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
Does anyone make their own hides like the ones you can buy (the ones that are supposed to look like rocks)?
I like the look of them but they are pretty expensive and generally only come sizes too small for adults.
I was thinking maybe plaster or fiberglass or something similar but then don't know how you'd make a mould for this...?

Search for fake rockwall backgrounds and use the same method for hides.
Works a treat.

Step one get a large cardboard box
Step two cover in expanda foam
Step three get cement
Step four mix cement and add paint as a base to the cement
Step five coat the box in cement and leave to dry
Step six add more colour
Step seven seal with pondtite or similar.

Dannyboi you're the DIY king! Is the expanda foam just to give the uneven shape? Do you remove it afterwards or just leave as part of the inside?
Thanks very much S Word too. A quick google search proved very fruitful

You cut it to give it a rocky effect or do whatever you think you would like. You can remove the box from the inside if you want its all optional. Cheers. Rather than having a life I talk to tech teachers and random tradies all the time.

the best boxes to use is a bird nesting box might need to sand some of the down. you could also make your own for about $5 and can paint it or whatever

Attachments

• screenshot_01.jpg
    screenshot_01.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 283
Last edited:
Actually quite a lot, just not much reptile stuff. Its not as bad as people think. I mean we have Adelaide zoo which is pretty awesome now and plenty of other stuff just not very crowded.

i recently made my own hide. here is a picture of it, abit scaby but it works
just search ''lizard landscapes'' in youtube, he is really talented and makes great how to's.
attachment.php

A tip for next time would be to use a brush or comb to get a texture.

yea i was gonna do that with some paint and cement but i ran out lol

what kind of paint is suitable to use? i would assume that some would be toxic?

pretty much any paint that states it's non toxic, a lot of the discount shops sell art acrylics that are non toxic. usually around $2 a tube so its cheap enough to grab a few colours.

Last edited:
could probably also use a box with a bit of paper machet instead of expanda foam and then finish as per dannyboi's method. Could use different bits of random cardboard too to give it raised sections and creases similar to the exo terra hides.

Yeah any method you choose let us know how it goes. But expanda foam will be quicker and easier to shape.

I'm so excited after learning this method and reading the DIY group stuff. Unfortunately I'm in QLD for work and won't get time to try it for a few weeks though. How frustrating

PS Thanks everyone for the help. I was expecting to get slammed for asking here instead of going to Google

the only down side with the expand foam is that it isn't strong enough over a large horizontal area without some support under it, what size animal are you planning on using it for ?

Other thing I've seen at bunnings is that outdoor texture paint for external feature walls and stuff. Can get like sandstone and natural rock finishes that come out rough with a bit of variation in the finish.

And could do as per the background method and start with a block of foam and carve away to form a hide.

Now I'm even thinking of making a hide :\

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back