How To Make A Hide

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
*sigh* thanks for making it a sticky Colin, but how about our own DIY section..... pretty please sugar on top, can you sweet talk the admin on our behalf.? The DIY group has taken off really well, but it has its limitations.

*sigh* thanks for making it a sticky Colin, but how about our own DIY section..... pretty please sugar on top, can you sweet talk the admin on our behalf.? The DIY group has taken off really well, but it has its limitations.

no probs.. I like the enthusiasm and ideas in this thread and other DIY type threads. It would be best to submit this idea and proposal to admin via the support centre and see what they say. personally I think its a good idea for a DIY section but its not my decision.

woohoo guys and girls lets go...............

the support centre link is right at the bottom of the page for those that dont know where it is......

They look awesome Carolyn. Man so many awesome ideas. How big can you get those foam balls? My Jungle will need something fairly decent sized. Thanks everyone for the suggestions and ideas. Keep them coming :D
How do you get one of these turned into a sticky? I think it would be quite helpful for new DIYers.

Hey Saximus! Thank you for your kind words, 'preciate it! :)

The beauty about using this method is they are very lightweight - even if something unfortunate was to happen, any animal will wriggle it's way out from underneath it quite easily, even a gecko (although mine DIG under them!)

As for what size do these balls come in - HEAPS! Originally, I was going to make them into 'igloos', but after doing the first one, just thought a simple 'hut' (or "coconut", if you like!) would be more beneficial. Nice and cosy inside!

Another suggestion - for a long 'tunnel' type, is to use a length of PVC pipe, pop a garbage bag (or freezer bag, depending on the size) over the pipe, coat it with Vaseline (or some such), and go from there. When dried, just take the bag and pipe out, and you are left with a pretty nifty and lightweight 'log'!

Like I said, you are now only limited by your imagination!

Have fun!

Best,
Carolyn

for expanda foam if you want to keep the mold just smother it in Vaseline then spry the foam ontop of the vasoline when it drys it should just come of it works with all my hides

Ponds

Has anyone used the expanda foam with the mould up the other way to make a little fake pond?

Robbo

If you wanted to make a pond I probably wouldn't use expanda-foam. Try cement or grout covered in pondtite. I don't think the foam would be water tight, even with a sealer on it.

I haven't but I've read that if it's in constant contact with water it can start to deteriorate

Would it be possible to work with expanda foam on a vertical surface? Instead of 3d foam sheets, could you do the fake rock effect straight on the wall of the enclosure?
Or will it not stick well enough?

Robbo

I would suggest it would depend on the surface that you are sticking it to, some laminate/melamine seems to almost be teflon coated when you're trying to paint it. If its unsealed timber / mdf then you may be ok. I dont think i would trust it to support the weight of anything to heavy, it would probably be ok for geckos, small lizards, small adult snakes,, but not anything with any sort of weight.

These are my hides, went with a aztec theme. All made with polystyrene covered in grout and painted. Pretty happy with the outcome.
snake.JPG

Hi all!
I've made hides for my geckos using foam balls (from Craft Shops), Bondcrete (used for sticking tiles to a floor), and Grout colour.
Carolyn

Thanks heaps for the idea, Carolyn!
Here's my attempt at them, while stuck in hospital (limited access to anything lol) The cleaners weren't too happy with me in the morning :lol::lol::lol:
hatchling hides, made in hosp 8.2.2011.jpg

They're a pretty awful colour, because the lady at the craft shop told me that green & orange make brown! ahh, wrong. but they're alright for my first try.

Russellman, that enclosure set up is nice! I love the Aztec theme :)

Haha thanks. i like the foam ball idea. do they only come in balls? can u get triangle or squares?

from what I saw, there were all different size balls, and some really thin, narrow round pyramid shapes and stars. I'm not sure what other shops would have though :)

Trouble where did you go to get them? I'm staying in Ippy for a few months so I might take a wander and see if it's nearby

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back