Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SpilotaFreak78

Reaction score
More so in carpet pythons specifically.

The backstory of this is, today I received some rather nasty text messages from someone who bought a jungle python off me around April last year and they had said their vet told them the python had died of MBD and they were literally screaming at me through the text blaming me for the death of the animal, were never going to buy another animal from me, never going to talk to me ever again and was going to ignore me at all future herp club meetings we both happened to be at, at the same time. I didn't hold it against them as they were obviously greiving for a pet they cared about. All I know is that the Jungle had been to the vet not long before I sold him and was passed as ok, he had no spinal issues or problems, he was eating ok, albeit a very fussy feeder and had the normal cranky temperament of a young one.

I did try and help and rang my vet, Robert at South Penrith Vet clinic. Robert is rather reputable and through their reception, the answer I got back was that he has never seen MBD in snakes. From my knowledge of it, its caused by a number of factors, mostly diet and nutrition, i.e feed a dragon only crickets and they can get MBD. The advice I gave them from my vet was to seek a second opinion and I offered for them to call SPVC to talk to them about it as it wasn't going to cost them anything.

From what I did know of the animal after it left my hands, it escaped for a 10 day period and was found in the first month afterwards and some time later closer to the colder months, the animal escaped and disappeared again for about 6 weeks and was found in a rather bad condition and required vet care.

SPVC said that this could have been the trigger to cause the onset of MBD or some other underlying condition. Animals could live without showing the symptoms for years and then suddenly a trigger sets it off. I have had this happen to me with an animal before for a different condition, but I didn't blame the breeder, I worked with them to find out more information despite how upset and agreived I was.

So has anyone else had this issue with their carpet pythons? Or would anyone with any knowledge or experience with MBD care to share what they know?

Last edited:
pretty lame blaming you 8 months after they took over the animals care,....regardless of what it died from.

Losing animals is one of those bad luck things, i lost a $1600 snake to lymphoma 4 months after i bought it, i didnt blame the seller, just like some people get sick, so do some animals.

The buyer needs to take some responsibility for his or her own actions, or accept that a certain percentage of animals may develop some serious problems at some stage in life....

@ Chris1 The Diamond python I was talking about above, developed some form of congenital defect according to my vet, part of his bottom jaw just dissolved, like the cartilage of whatever is, in the front part of the lower jaw just went poof. He hadn't been eating well during the colder months, perhaps that put his immunity down or something and caused his trigger to go off. I do know with some hatchies its pot luck, irregardless of whether they come from a reputable breeder, these things just happen, the best is to just deal with it. My animals are looked after and get a lot of vet visits and it costs a fair bit, but I do it because it needs to be done, even if the animal can't be helped and succumb to their diseases or impairments and becomes a loss to me.

Sorry to hear about your $1600 loss. This is one of my worries as I broach ever closer to buying animals at the 4 figure mark about whether something may happen to them, especially if I am planning on investing in a Zebra Jungle at some stage. Its such a shame that groups like RSPCA won't pull their heads out and allow us to insure our animals

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back