Most realistic rock you have ever seen....

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
did you take all those pics snowman?? stunning. what location were they taken??

i would give anything to go on a holiday like that.. i wouldnt even know where and how to start to plan for something like that..

Last edited:
did you take all those pics snowman?? stunning. what location were they taken??

i would give anything to go on a holiday like that.. i wouldnt even know where and how to start to plan for something like that..

Yeah took them on the weekend. Went camping with my brother for a few days up at Karajini NP.

Last lot... I look forward to seeing some AMAZING fake rocks from the hard core DIY team in the future :)

Yes it does look home made but so do alot of store brought backgrounds, exo terra for example are made very shoddy (can see the foam through paint).

3uzusa3e.jpg

Mine doesnt look like a Universal Rocks background but with it costing me under $20 im happy with how it came up.

Rick
Sometimes the lights give shadows which also reduce the single colour effect. The human eye is hard to fool. If we saw someones face and it was all the same colour we automatically think it's not right. Like a manikin in a shop. Like wise when you have spent time in the bush you have the same eye for detail in rocks, trees etc...

What you are trying to get people to accomplish is not possible (have you actually worked with these products before?!)... Most people are using render products which need to be sealed (most commonly pondtite), your so called perfection goes out the window once pondtite is applied due to the glossy shine and dulling any colour (if you can prove me wrong, please I'm all open to furthering my skills). Take this wall for example which I used a mixture of at least 10 shades of colour which just ended up looking like a royal mess...

C126A073-4E01-4664-953E-E21CB95AD251-7294-0000060DA533967F-1.jpg

Had your post been along the lines of "inspiration for colour designs and landscapes" I wouldn't have bitten, but by saying people need to try to be more realistic because they look awful I'm not going to stand for. The work required to make rendered backgrounds takes at least a week for sculpting, drying and sealing and people shouldn't have to come on here and read that their effort looks awful.

Just my opinion

Last edited:
It's certainly possible I know people who make them very real. And they insisted that indeed the trick is the array of colours that is needed. It sounds like your method is not suitable for achieving what is required for real looking rocks. There are many ways to do this and I'd post a link, but they are not site sponsors. If you don't do them yourself they are very expensive as they are basically pieces of art with all the colour that goes into them The easiest two tone method is a layer of light (perhaps red) then a layer of dark (perhaps grey). Sand back the top layer in parts to expose the red. Still not as good as a properly painted rock. But much better. You can also get into resin and fiberglass etc, or using molds of real rock formations etc etc...
Yes mono tone rocks is a pet peeve of mine. It makes me cringe, especially when you know that the poor sod has spent hours working on it. I can understand that people are happy with that look. And that is fine. But many people like to have natural looking enclosures and that means taking things to the next level.

Last edited by a moderator:
What you are trying to get people to accomplish is not possible (have you actually worked with these products before?!)... Most people are using render products which need to be sealed (most commonly pondtite), your so called perfection goes out the window once pondtite is applied due to the glossy shine and dulling any colour (if you can prove me wrong, please I'm all open to furthering my skills). Take this wall for example which I used a mixture of at least 10 shades of colour which just ended up looking like a royal mess...

C126A073-4E01-4664-953E-E21CB95AD251-7294-0000060DA533967F-1.jpg

Had your post been along the lines of "inspiration for colour designs and landscapes" I wouldn't have bitten, but by saying people need to try to be more realistic because they look aweful I'm not going to stand for. The work required to make rendered backgrounds takes at least a week for sculpting, drying and sealing and people shouldn't have to come on here and read that their effort looks aweful.

Just my opinion

What other sealers could possibly be used? I'm far from that stage but was hoping to stay away from anything too glossy (unless i go with lego :p)

I'd be insulted if someone said my background didn't look "real" enough and compared it to real rocks. After all, the highlight of the enclosure is our pet and the surroundings are only for it's benefit. IMO I don't think my Steve would mind if his rocks were painted hot pink.

But it is always good to note the varying colours in rocks, for aesthetics.

I think to avoid the shiny look fibreglass or latex is the way to go as it is already sealed and can be painted to suit.

I think to avoid the shiny look fibreglass or latex is the way to go as it is already sealed and can be painted to suit.
And if you take a latex mold of real rock formations you are really cooking with gas :)

I didn't even think of taking a mould of a real rock. I've been having too much fun making a mess with foam :)

The biggest problem with taking a mould is the nice looking formations that Snowman has in his photos are too large to fit in an enclosure and if you looked at a small part that would fit in an enclosure there would be little detail and contrast that you get from the entire rock face.

Hey snowman lets see some fake wall you have done.any pics?
Nope no pictures yet. I'm still not happy with the results. They need to be perfect before I will use them. Until then I wont have any backgrounds in my enclosures. I'd be too embarrassed to have something I am not 98% happy with. Perhaps throw some OCD in with my aspergers lol.

I don't see how you can have a grudge about it when you've never tried it. Speaking on behalf of the majority here who use render, the landscaping detail and colour you have outlined is not possible with polystyrene and render so to live up to your "realistic" standards as you said, latex or fiberglass would have to be used (having stein fiberglass enclosures, good luck cleaning it if you use it on the floor!). Never having worked with these products I cannot speak about if this is a practical option.

another monotone render inspiration shot for the majority :)

8E5C08E0-E4D3-4678-A2F7-C9547D0F178B-7294-00000614CA26E2EF.jpg

I also use a mix of 1/4 water with my pondtite which helps keep away some of the glossiness.

Last edited:
The biggest problem with taking a mould is the nice looking formations that Snowman has in his photos are too large to fit in an enclosure and if you looked at a small part that would fit in an enclosure there would be little detail and contrast that you get from the entire rock face.
I saw a lot of sections that would be perfect for a 1200x600. But like anything you have to frame the section almost like taking a photo.These rock however are in a national park. So I wouldn't take a mold of them :) Termite mounds would also be cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back