Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stretched88

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Well as the title states, i am new to reptiles.

My partner and i are looking at getting either a snake or bearded dragon. However i am leaning more to snake as we were informed by the pet store that they take a little less up keep.

So about me, i'm 24, about to have a baby with my partner, live in qld, and really like snakes!

What we are looking for. I would really like a snake that stays smallish, has a very docile temperament, but perhaps is of curious nature, and also something that just stands out ie: colour.

At the store today i bombarded the lady with questions, but she gave me soooo much information about snakes. I was able to hold a Stimson python, only 2 months old. Which was great for me because with a smaller snake, i can get comfortable with is as it grows.

So some questions for some of you who maybe a bit more experienced. Would you recommend a Stimson, taking into consideration the above criteria i am looking to cover? Or perhaps there are other types that i should take a look at?

Also, one question i forgot to ask at the store was, health problems? Do they have any?

Obviously any other info you can pass onto a newbie would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers, Sam.

I would recommend a stimsons, i dont own one myself but ive heard on this site that they are very docile snakes and are recommended as first snake, i own a woma python which is my first snake and she is great, she can be moody at times but she is still a hatchling.
I recommend you do lots a research on the type of species you want to own.

Welcome mate. It sounds like you are making all the right moves and attempting to get all the info before getting into the hobby so well done.

The only thing I picked up and maybe Im reading it wrong, is that you mention that you are leaning towards a snake "as they take a little less upkeep". While you are right, I wouldn't use that thought pattern as any justification in getting a snake just yet. Yes they do not need as much as a dog, cat or other fluffy, but they do still need regular attention which you will find during your fact finding :)

Good luck though, as mentioned, you are on the right track and there are a few folks here who can help into your new adventure of reptile keeping.

I would recommend a stimsons, i dont own one myself but ive heard on this site that they are very docile snakes and are recommended as first snake, i own a woma python which is my first snake and she is great, she can be moody at times but she is still a hatchling.
I recommend you do lots a research on the type of species you want to own.

I have also been told they are great first snakes. Also been told childrens pythons are good too, but i think they get a bit bigger, and i would love something as small as i can get it. After holding the stimson today, i wish they could stay the size of a hatchling! haha

the antaresia group are all small snakes, they are the smallest snakes you can get in australia. They all usually get up to about 1m which is fairly small considering other snakes you can keep in australia.

welcome :) you have come to the right place. I think you have it all covered however just remember u cant tell a snakes tempermant it may start out fine but its not to say it will never bite.

You seem like a knowledgeable newbie, and you seem keen to learn more before starting off keeping reptiles.
that is a good thing and something that us people in the hobby encourage and are happy to hear.

honestly, Antaresia sp. (spotted python, stimson python,childrens python) are good starters. they stay around 1-1.5m and are commonly for sale. although in saying this, you will want bigger pythons... you may not now, but you will. i started off exactly like you and i am getting a south west carpet python ( Morelia spilota imbricata ) in a couple weeks. i have had a stimsons python for just over a year now and i thought it was time to step up. So you might want to get something with a bit more size... although in saying this you will probably get a few more pythons.

enjoy the hobby, learn as much as you can.

cheers, Bohdi.

Thank you for the reply guys. Just to clarify about the up keep. I was only comparing it to the lizard. ie: lizard needs to eat everyday, needs a uv lamp etc etc. We have a big dog, and like any pet, he is part of the family (sleeps on bed sometimes haha). So when i'm home i would want the snake with me as much as practical. I find them very intriguing, the way they move, their tongue etc So it's certainly not a pet to show off, or say "i have a snake, look how cool i am" haha Purely out of love for them.

Well I picked up my spotted python today!! Yay!. Although he fed a little earlier so will have to wait to have a play. We are now getting an enclosure built so also have to wait a bit untill my partner can get her bearded dragon. Anyway this is the little fella I named noodles :)

uploadfromtaptalk1366786982757.jpg

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back