Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The best way to get a rare, endangered etc etc species plentiful is allow breeders to keep them.....what a shame the greenies, government departments never think snsible or logical!!!!

If bred in captivity though, would that make them any less tolerant to all the little buggies etc that goes with living in the big wild world...?

I wont detract from your statement though... the best way to increase populations would be letting breeders go a little silly :) it'd be the smart thing to do

From what i understand the animals at the territory wildlife park are all males and even they cannot get a permit to get a female. So the only way they will become available to us mere mortals is if the park does does get permission to get a female then if they successfully breed them enough times to supply other parks and zoos etc. Then probably ten years on we might get hold of some, unless another state or territory has some sort of amnesty to declare illegally held animals and then the people that do hold these animals currently illegally will be able to come forward and we will have access to them. I dont know what the problem is besides some beauracratic bull*h*t holding everything up. They are more common than people know and are scattered around the country in various collections allready anyway and still fetching well over $20 K a pair from what i have heard. Its only a matter of time and we will get there eventually. (fingers crossed)

From what i understand the animals at the territory wildlife park are all males and even they cannot get a permit to get a female.

Well one must have had a sex change cause when I was there at the beginning of the year the one on display was one very large healthly looking female. The young male was not on display and off the top of my head I can't remember the sex of the third.

From what i understand the animals at the territory wildlife park are all males and even they cannot get a permit to get a female...

Well they do have current collection permits. It'sjust tat they aren't collecting atm.

From what i understand the animals at the territory wildlife park are all males and even they cannot get a permit to get a female...

Well they do have current collection permits. It'sjust tat they aren't collecting atm.
Well that is good news then, that means that things are finally in motion even if there are some grey areas.
Good stuff

Well one must have had a sex change cause when I was there at the beginning of the year the one on display was one very large healthly looking female. The young male was not on display and off the top of my head I can't remember the sex of the third.

it wouldnt be the first time thats happened to a captive snake.:lol:

When my father discovered this python it was very controversial. He named it himself and there was a picture of me with it in the bath printed in the NT News at the time, which I know have the original on my wall. I was about 4 years old which would make it about 1983. My mother knows the full story of it's discovery, if your interested let me know and I will ask her and post it. I believe at the time alot of the well know herp's didn't believe that there could possibly be another species but dad knew better and finally due to the patterns and the scale count they had to agree. As to whether or not anyone has them in captiviy at the moment I couldn't be sure.

Hi Samantha, I heard a little of this story from Dave @ Pilbara Pythons, but it would be good to get an account from the source -so post away

What a lot of people don't realise is that even if the Park has the permits to collect, they may not have permission from the Aboriginal Landowners who own the land where the Oenpelli's are found. You can't even go there without their permission.

As I understand it, Graeme Gow was the ONLY person with permission from the Aboriginals to collect Oenpelli's (and anything else he wanted). And since his death last year, that makes it a little difficult to get hold of them.

:p

Hix

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back