Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
How's it going people. Now here's the deal. A few days ago I got a lizard which i'm pretty sure is an Ornate Dragon. It's only a tiny baby at the moment (less than 10 cms long, including the tail). The problem is, it won't eat. It must be very particular about it's food, and i'm not sure what to feed it. Does anybody know what these dragons eat (take into account that it's only a juvenile). I don't even know if it's herbivorous or vegetarian. I tried putting some dead flies and a bit of mince meat in it's enclosure, but it wouldn't touch them. So then I put some peas, corn and a tiny bit of lettuce in there but it didn't eat them either. I put some small slaters in it's enclosure this morning and as far as I know, it hasn't eaten them. Perhaps I need to give it live prey?? I love reptiles but I'm an inexperienced keeper. I want this little fella to grow into a big healthy dragon but he won't eat! Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Im not sure of the species you refer to exactly, however we feed live crickets, crockroaches, mealworms to our Eastern water dragon. We have tried him on various vegetable matter with little success.

Thanks for the help. But did you feed your water dragon differently when it was a baby? Please take into account the size of my animal, i'm not even sure if it would be able to eat a full grown cricket.
Where do you guys get the crickets and cockroaches from? Do you just catch them or do you breed them in a fish tank or something?

For the water dragon they are bought from the pet shop, breeder. You can buy crickets and roaches in all different sizes, like some really small ones, he had no trouble with, but he was primarily fed on mealworms to begin with.. which i found out now is not so good as far as his diet was concerned.

Yep thats the one, the Ornate Crevice Dragon. The dragon in that second photograph looks identical to mine! Thanks a lot for that help. I guess i'll go find him some ants and flowers.

Sweet! Look like an awesome lizard. Once again, shows how lucky you Aussies are.

How big is he/she? On that page it says they start out around 3cm SVL (Snout to Vent Length) and get to be about 8 to 9cm SVL. Maybe that'll give you a good idea of age.

I don't know much about lizards, but some of the other guys have quite a few. I'm sure they'll be more than happy to help you out with general lizard care and setup info.

Hey there Puff.

Thats a bit slack of the person where you got your baby from not to tell you exactly what it was or what it needed to eat! How old is it? My little beardies where 2.5 weeks when I got them. They eat tiny roaches really well and we get them from the Herp Shop

I have discovered that a really good way to get ants is to leave a bit of jam on the bread board on your kitchen counter.....

Good luck with your little one and let us know how s/he goes with the ants!!! Fingers crossed it eats soon

Sue

*** Most important thing!!!! I would make sure that you have a UV light in the tank.***

Try to keep it about 30cm from where the lizard is (UV only goes about 30cm from the tube). Also have one end of the tank warmer than the other. A single lightglobe can do this well. This allows the lizard to move to alter his temperature as he wishes.

Depending on his size, you might get away with pinhead crickets. You could use the estimates they say with beardies.... The length of the crickets should be about the same as the distance between the lizards eyes....

Thanks for your help guys. I'll do what you say and tell you if he's any bigger in a few weeks.
And I live in Western Australia saikrett.

make sure that you have a licence for it, because i know CALM isn't CALM about reptile licences

I thought so too...
Have they changed that finally?

Good for you! ..and the rest of the WA herpers! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back