Pygmy freshwater croc

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
. Gb white I find your post interesting and seems to make good sense. Crocs have evolved over Millenia and will probably outlive the human race. The cane toad invasion is just another minor hurdle in their evolution. Please note that is only my theory only.

Last edited by a moderator:
@GBWhite I agree with you there, seeing as crocs are garbage guts they'll probably eat anything that they can and overtime they would have evolved immunity to toxins. I have my doubts with the pygmy though seeing as it can only tackle smaller prey but perhaps toxins in other frogs and small fish might disprove that theory.

Thanks and GROW UP!

in regards to cane toads thing I saw brought up from the little knowlege I have on the topic I did watch a program which claimed that it was the crocs eating the back legs of the cane toads. I believe this was said from a witnessed incident and tethmarks found in the remains. Unfortunetly my knowledge does not extend further then this in regards to crocs and cane toads. My opiuion is that they would be intelegent enough to comprehend which parts of a toad should not be eaten.

I saw the same program and a quick google search will provide links. I'm going to compare them side by side tomorrow and see if I can pin down the differences.

Hi guys,

I'm very interested in finding out more about this project of Adam Britton's regarding the pygmy crocs.

Could someone please provide a link to the program (or video) mentioned where someone alleges they witnessed a pygmy croc (or crocs) eating the rear legs off the toads.

I've done a search but can only get videos where Adam outline a request for crowd funding along with the purpose of the project which basically appears to be to obtain tissue samples for genetic testing.

I know that it mentioned in the article provided by the link in the original thread that someone (I believe it was Adam's wife, Erin) discovered the dismembered bodies of toads which included some with legs missing and what appeared to be tinny teeth marks but I can't find any footage about it.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

George.

I don't know that there is George. Only pictures showing dismbered toads. Not the two together or someone having witnessed it first hand.

The program was a kids show called "bushwacked" two mates go around Australia doing challanges this one was to catch a pygmy croc by hand. The guide and scientest they were with brought up the witnessed report and teeth mark points when they found a dead cane toad missing its back legs. That scientest could have been Mr Britton but I can't remeber off the top of my head.

Sounds interesting. Crocs apparently have the biggest intelligence for their brain size and they can be tamed to the equivalent of a family dog (with commands and all that). I guess they might have figured this out too

The program was a kids show called "bushwacked" two mates go around Australia doing challanges this one was to catch a pygmy croc by hand. The guide and scientest they were with brought up the witnessed report and teeth mark points when they found a dead cane toad missing its back legs. That scientest could have been Mr Britton but I can't remeber off the top of my head.
I never really liked Bushwacked. So obviously staged. The info was valuable, but I hated the kid, Kamil. If you ignored him, great show.

Cheers,
Herpo

Maybe ask Gavin Bedford. I know he was organizing herp trips to the area. He may have more info.

I wouldn't use the word "tamed" as such since they are still wild animals (to say they aren't would infer demostication, a process which took thousands of years in terms of dogs). But yes they can be somewhat trained to preform certain actions for a food reward.... They ain't gonna be your best mate though haha (granteded there are exceptions where they become rather tolerable of people or even a spacific person such as the lady who owns a freshie down here in Melbourne).

Bushwacked was cringier than watching donald trump's speeches.

Fake-as.

I mean they brought in a night tiger (northern form) instead of an eastern form. Some guy will pick it up (its harmless as the show said) but instead it would be a rough scale or something.

Maybe ask Gavin Bedford. I know he was organizing herp trips to the area. He may have more info.
Is his wife Fay Bedford by any chance? If so I have her on facebook lol

- - - Updated - - -

Agree with you Herpo. Not the greatest show ever but it still has some pretty cool and intersting facts thrown in, well enough for me to watch it if I see it on haha. Night tigers can still do some damage if you are allergic and I think also have bad bacteria in there mouths as well?? (Correct me if I'm wrong haha colubrids not my fortè). Back to the crocs now. I wonder what would happen if you took a pygmy and released it into an area with a larger food source and normal freshies? Would it grow to the larger size? Assuming it isn't eaten by the other freshwater crocodiles and salties (again acording to the show the area surounding the pygmy crcocs get saltwater crocs in when the rains come and the water rises).

Okay, I have spent a lot of time cleaning up and merging the posts. I have reopened the thread. Please keep posts ON TOPIC and friendly.

Lucky for me at the Canberra Reptile zoo they have a couple of pygmys which are awesome
If I ever get my advanced down here in vic would love a freshie esspecailly a pygmy haha. At least venomous snake and crocodile regulations down here are pretty good. Species list is rather poor unfortunetly and there seems to mixes between advanced and basic lisences.

As for genetic research, the program bushwacked included a scene where tissue was collected from a scout at the reare of the tail. I beilive they also said they can take from several different scouts to form and indefication number/pattern

Heres something that seems like a worthy cause - http://www.pozible.com/project/28752

NT News version of Crocs eating the legs off toads - http://www.ntnews.com.au/news/north...s/news-story/da8d180393e906938c0b35214bad4c33

Mate, if you're getting 'facts' from the NT news, the world must be a very interesting place, what with all the aliens flying around and yowies in peoples backyards.
crocs up here are taking a hammering, no matter what their scientific classification is.

Mate, if you're getting 'facts' from the NT news, the world must be a very interesting place, what with all the aliens flying around and yowies in peoples backyards.
crocs up here are taking a hammering, no matter what their scientific classification is.
Nah mate, I wouldnt take facts from any newspaper regarless of location, I was just sharing a link.

It would be good to get the perspective of Adam since he posted that

Heres something that seems like a worthy cause - http://www.pozible.com/project/28752
Oh wow so do have a genetic differences! Thats extermely exciting to me. Thats really putting the foot in the door of a brand new species or at least sub species! And yeh its definetely a worthy cause (Should contact him and say "I will donate if you take me with you" haha).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back