Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kylie30

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
We found this little guy in the bird aviary this morning, He has eaten something but it isn't one of my birds he is too small. :) I'm guessing a mouse maybe and he was looking for a hidey hole to sleep it off.
We have removed him safely, and plan to let him go this afternoon when it stops raining, but not near my aviary. So any suggestions on what he might be, and where we can let him go? I am northside Brissy, have a lot of bush and the dam nearby but want to do the right thing for the snake.
Thanks and have a great day :DPA290243.jpg

It looks like a juvie coastal to me, from my understanding their patterns vary alot, plus being young its colours havnt brightened up yet. Oh and dont be fooled by its size, it most likely did eat one of ur birds. Did u see the size of its bump by any chance?

Ahh well, just seemed too diff to be a coastal. Its always a coastal :(

I'd own a coastal like that, very cool colour/marking. Definitely never seen one cruising round the bush like that before!

Ahh well, just seemed too diff to be a coastal. Its always a coastal :(

I'd own a coastal like that, very cool colour/marking. Definitely never seen one cruising round the bush like that before!

Haha i know what u mean, every ID thread i click on, its always a coastal lol its not really all that easy to see its patterns properly tho but it is a little different to the pics i normally see.

Ok he may look big in the pic but he isn't, maybe 50-60cms. And I am not missing any birds, the bulge isn't big enough to be a bird. We have a stimpsons python so I know what bulges are. We have had a few small mice around the aviary lately so I am guessing that was his snack. His markings are very fine, i will try to get a better pic.

It looks like a juvie coastal to me, from my understanding their patterns vary alot, plus being young its colours havnt brightened up yet. Oh and dont be fooled by its size, it most likely did eat one of ur birds. Did u see the size of its bump by any chance?

unless he owns cockatoos :p

269558_4280985257237_514763194_n.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Is this a better pic?

Last edited:
Ok he may look big in the pic but he isn't, maybe 50-60cms. And I am not missing any birds, the bulge isn't big enough to be a bird. We have a stimpsons python so I know what bulges are. We have had a few small mice around the aviary lately so I am guessing that was his snack. His markings are very fine, i will try to get a better pic.

All good, glad it didnt get any of ur birds, i was pretty much just saying that they can eat bigger things then u'd expect, i still get surprised by some of the pics i see of pythons eating huge meals lol His markings are very nice.
And jrfear- very true

You can let him go in my back yard!
I should add there is lots of untouched bush out the back and 2 dams for him to pick from.:p

Last edited:
What are my chances of convincing NPWS that he was found on a transport truck here in Inverell and it would be irresponsible to let him go in the wild so I'll need a special permit to look after his wellfare? It could work. :)

We are thinking that it might be a hypo coastal python? Looks similar to some we have found on google images. thoughts? :)

My thoughts are that it should come to my place... 8)

Oh ok seriously, yes it could be a hypo.

It does look hypo, are there hypo coastals in the wild? i have no idea.

oh and gruni, good luck convincing NPWS lol

I wonder if we can convince the QLD lot to put him on our licence lol!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back