Sore python bite

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

the_brad

Reaction score
The last couple of days the tendent (I think) running up my wrist over my thumb has been really sore.. But I've been trying to think what I had done to it, then I remembered my adult jungle bite me on the wrist close to my thumb alittle over a week ago, and it hurt a hell of a lot more then a normal bite, has anyone else experienced this before? Could the tendent be infected? Or damaged? No teeth were left behind

Could be from the bite.

Could be anything...

Only a doctor will be able to tell you for sure.

No tooth, you can't even see where the bite was now. It did bruise almost straight away and last acouple days, other then that no physical signs,

Probably the tooth getting infected. The word you're looking for is tendon btw :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was looking for an intelligent answer but thanks
it was intelligent cause he can spell....only having a laugh.....ive had teeth left in and they get real sore about a week later....a pin prik to your tendon would have probably healed by now

Last edited by a moderator:
I had my Coastal absolutely slam my forearm when I first got him (Moving him out of his transport bag and into his cage), my arm was out for a week! I found it a bit swollen and tender so it could just be from the bite.

If a tooth managed to pierce fully through the skin into the tendon, bacteria may have been left behind, causing an infection. By now I would expect that this would be hot and red from inflammation, as well as sore. Alternatively, it may have slightly irritated a nerve, causing the pain. If it doesn't resolve, see your GP and say something like "Of course, you know that snakes have very different bacteria in their mouth than cats and dogs..." We had a good presentation at the AHS some time ago about this. The folks at the Reptile Park in conjunction with Gosford Hospital cultured bacteria from a scrub python, alligator (or croc?) and tassie devil. They were very different bacteria than in dog, cat or human bites which GPs are used to treating. Thus, the normal antibiotics did not work for those bacteria.

Probably the tooth getting infected. The word you're looking for is tendon btw :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for that,

If a tooth managed to pierce fully through the skin into the tendon, bacteria may have been left behind, causing an infection. By now I would expect that this would be hot and red from inflammation, as well as sore. Alternatively, it may have slightly irritated a nerve, causing the pain. If it doesn't resolve, see your GP and say something like "Of course, you know that snakes have very different bacteria in their mouth than cats and dogs..." We had a good presentation at the AHS some time ago about this. The folks at the Reptile Park in conjunction with Gosford Hospital cultured bacteria from a scrub python, alligator (or croc?) and tassie devil. They were very different bacteria than in dog, cat or human bites which GPs are used to treating. Thus, the normal antibiotics did not work for those bacteria.

Thanks, it is still alittle swollen, maybe a nerv.. If I just lightly brush my finger over my wrist at the joint (a inch or so from where the bite was) it gives sort of a shock/pain.
Good to know about the antibiotics, I got done on the eye ball by my hatchy water python a few years ago, it never became infected but if it did, I probly would have got the wrong antibiotics and could of ended up loosing an eye..

Last edited by a moderator:
If its that bad mate, go to the docs, the sooner you treat it properly the better, tendon damage and nerve damage can be quite long lasting go see a gp that's what doctors are there for.

RICE. Rest, ice, compression, elevate (although don't really need to do that).

The doctor will probably tell you to do that. Maybe antibiotics, but without some sort of sign on the skin that there's an infection present, I believe antibiotics aren't indicated. Still worth going as he might be able to note what structures lie underneath the bitten area, and that may give some indication as to what's happening. Most likely tendon or muscle damage. The hand is full of tendons and muscles, especially the wrist (tendons mostly, so many tendons).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back