Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Study, if this snake was unwell since you got her 4 weeks ago, then the death was neither sudden nor unexpected. Showing all the signs of a sick snake before dying ensures the death was preceeded by the illness. It is a very hard lesson to learn and only through experience can it be fully known, but take a small comfort in knowing that everyone here has or will make a husbandry mistake that will cause the death of an animal in their care.

Necropsy of my bredli

I sat and watched the Necropsy and admit made me feel a little wosy

External exam found no nasal discharge or mucus build up in the mouth 3 cm long cloacal prolapse and some in flamed scales under the mid body section

Internal found no problems with hydration and fat was present
vet found a small build up of fluid around the heart no respiratory problems the liver was pale and some Intra-abdominal fat was present

the pancreas and spleen were both enlarged and inflamed as well as the colon being inflamed and having a mucosa lining

Meniges were in flamed

The cause of death was septicemia- a bacterial disease as well as meningitis

i had the organs sent away for a histopathology were they'll be testing for OPMV and IBD

when i get the results back ill be sure to post them

thank you all for your help and support

P.S. to make matters worse the vet discovered while dissecting that she was carrying about a half dozen undeveloped eggs

has she been cooled for breeding this year??

and has she ever been bred befor??

from what i have read so far you havnt dropped the temps so strange that she would have 6 or so undeveloped eggs inside already could it possible have held these ovum over from last season and one or more has cause this death??

good news
just spoke to the breeder an he said hes going to try an replace her with a bredli of the same age an same sex or work something else out....

That is indeed some good news from an otherwise sad situation.....
Good thing there wasnt any naming and shaming too soon :)

Sorry to read about your loss

Sorry for your loss Sturdy. To me you have conducted yourself as any other caring person who loves animals would . You were very upset and posted for support and then carried thru and got the vet assessment. Well done ,i hope the breeder delivers a lovely new snake to you and i comend this breeder for doing this. Hope all works out.

got the necropsy results back

SHE HAD OPMV!!!

but the male is showing no signs of it... but the vet wants to take him for research :cry:

now having trouble getting in contact with the breeder.

also the vet had stated that i should be expecting a cash refund as the snake had it for a long time.

also the eggs inside her were infected with bacteria which the vet had said she would have never been able to breed anyway....

Holy smokes.....
Did the vet give you a full medical report etc for you to state your case with the breeder/seller?
What are you going to do with the male? does the vet pay you for him or?:shock:

Oh man! That poor snake... are you going to give the male to him? What is research? Does 'research' involve killing the male?
Also important: does the breeder know she has OMPV, or did they become difficult to contact after you told them?

got the necropsy results back

SHE HAD OPMV!!!

but the male is showing no signs of it... but the vet wants to take him for research :cry:

now having trouble getting in contact with the breeder.

also the vet had stated that i should be expecting a cash refund as the snake had it for a long time.

also the eggs inside her were infected with bacteria which the vet had said she would have never been able to breed anyway....

That would be very unsettling news :?

Its paramount that you notify the breeder of the results. I would be asking for a full medical report from the vet. I would also seriously consider handing the male over for research as OPMV is not something to be taken lightly. I understand this would be hard thing to do for most, but that male poses a massive risk to future animals coming in and leaving your collection. Just my opinion...

That would be very unsettling news :?

Its paramount that you notify the breeder of the results. I would be asking for a full medical report from the vet. I would also seriously consider handing the male over for research as OPMV is not something to be taken lightly. I understand this would be hard thing to do for most, but that male poses a massive risk to future animals coming in and leaving your collection. Just my opinion...
Yes you are right the male be handed over but also the breeder needs to contact everyone that he has sold to.

sadly the male will be handed over.

an yes i got in contact with the seller this evening hes quite stressed as one of his this week died.
but he didnt get a necropsy.

an yes the medical report is in the mail.

from what ive been told the male will not be harmed.

but they are taking tissue samples from him... the goal is to find out If he is even infected an to test for new early detection methods with the use of mouth an rectal swabs.

the vet said there is a possibility i will be getting him back...

how ever this pair were my first pythons talk about a kick in he nuts.

but im not getting any other herp for at least 12 months +

You poor thing. I've been following this thread with interest and I was really sorry to hear that it turned out to be OPMV.

Don't let it turn you off pythons - you have just been (really) unlucky with this first purchase.

Best of luck with the male, and I really hope it all turns out for you.

well the reason why they want my male is that these too have been caged since the year dot..... an hes showing No signs of OPMV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back