Taipan found in Brisbane suburbs

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Notice Raymond had his say in the discussion. I get reports all the times of Taipans where i am, and never caught one. Once again it is a lack of id skills. I am in the process of supplying ID charts at all of my call outs to client for their own benefit. I would be excited to see Taipan here, caught them in Townsville and by far one of my most exciting snakes to relocate.

Thats pretty damn cool....I do know of a herper (also a member on APS) who lives near the Mt Glorius area who has sen a Tai crossing the road late arvo with a full belly. This herper knows his ID's and I would class this as a reliable sighting.

Certainly is a good find......

I'm hoping it was found dead and not just vouchered for the hell of it. Too much of that going on nowadays, it's just not necessary.

Notice that the significance of the find is stressed by the involvement of Channel Seven and not the Museum.

Interesting that the chap with the cheesy web site saw fit to comment. I live at The Gap, have done for 30-odd years, and I've never heard of a Taipan here. Eastern Browns, RBBs, Carpets, and Tree snakes sure. Who knows what movements these animals may make in light of recent changes in weather patterns, and temperatures locally? Hate to play the "Climate Change" card, but maybe??? It would be interesting to find out at any rate.
(I'm tempted to sign off "snakeperson", because I am) :p

I was in Burleigh heads a long time ago
taipan turned up there in caravan park
always thought it must have been a hitch hiker
maybe not??

.. his say in the discussion...
OHH - someone with a fragile ego has been contradicted. I need to follow this :)

I've encountered 1 skin which I IDed as taipan. I have been told that the best way to find the big T is an early start on a sunny winters day and to look on the sunny side of sugar cane fields. So far - no luck

Thats definitely the way to find them up north and would definitely work down here. Probably just need to spend a little longer looking though.

OHH - someone with a fragile ego has been contradicted. I need to follow this :)

I've encountered 1 skin which I IDed as taipan. I have been told that the best way to find the big T is an early start on a sunny winters day and to look on the sunny side of sugar cane fields. So far - no luck

Poor thing being cooked on pavers.
:(
Jedi, think its quite apparent who my comments refer to. Either way I am expressing my opinion which I am entitled to do.
If these animals are changing their locales, I would be really interested in any reasoning behind it. I understand food sources are fairly abundant everywhere right now, so that alone can't be a reason. Climate change? Some folks say that's not even happening? Anyone care to venture an opinion?
Snakecommentor.

Poor thing being cooked on pavers.
:(
Jedi, think its quite apparent who my comments refer to. Either way I am expressing my opinion which I am entitled to do.
If these animals are changing their locales, I would be really interested in any reasoning behind it. I understand food sources are fairly abundant everywhere right now, so that alone can't be a reason. Climate change? Some folks say that's not even happening? Anyone care to venture an opinion?
Snakecommentor.

I was just asking :lol: seeing as both parties websites have been included, one within the article and one in his 'signature'

I don't think that Taipans are changing their locales, the habitat around the area where it was found could easily have been a 'stronghold' of suitable habitat within SEQ where they have probably survived for 'x' number of years.

The reason they are not readily seen could be due to a few different factors, all speculative of course, but could be anything from low population densities, right through to their cryptic nature and overall alertness.

Just because you or anyone else hasn't seen something doesn't mean it's not there.............by that reckoning rough scaled snakes have only been in my area for the past few months............ ;)

Is it possible it was translocated by the floods of last new year? When I was about 12-13 my father and I were herping on the Brisbane river at Fernvale (twin bridges)
and we are 90% we saw a Taipan, both of us just watched in awe as it disappeared into a hole under a large fallen tree trunk.

I don't think that Taipans are changing their locales, the habitat around the area where it was found could easily have been a 'stronghold' of suitable habitat within SEQ where they have probably survived for 'x' number of years.

The reason they are not readily seen could be due to a few different factors, all speculative of course, but could be anything from low population densities, right through to their cryptic nature and overall alertness.

Just because you or anyone else hasn't seen something doesn't mean it's not there.............by that reckoning rough scaled snakes have only been in my area for the past few months............ ;)

Quite right! :D

I understand food sources are fairly abundant everywhere right now, so that alone can't be a reason.
Actually it can be a reason. More food equals more breeding equals more dispersal
Climate change? Some folks say that's not even happening?Snakecommentor.
The folks who say that are either vested interests willing to risk our grand children's lives for a few extra hamburgers* or people who are silly enough to believe their propaganda
Is it possible it was translocated by the floods of last new year?
That is possible. There is a report that a spotted black was relocated from Brisbane late last year.There is another possibility. Taipan are a very secretive snake. It is possible that they were there all along and just not reported*Analogy is intentional and has a deeper meaning

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back