Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

benkinder83

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone.
I am interested in starting a collection of Morelia. I have kept Antaresia and was wondering what size carpet tend to be unmanageable for one person to handle. Species size is the biggest influence in my decision making at this time and was wondering if you recommend that I get out of this mind frame.
For me its a toss up between Jungles and albino Darwins. Is the much difference in housing size and cost to feed? Advice or recommendations? What size snake can deliver a decent tag?
Thankyou for your time and any advice.
Kind regards.

i think your pretty safe with either of those options i would be housing the same for both species you will be looking at about 2.5mtr worth of python. i think the only unmanageable size morelia would be a scrub python

I ruled out a scrub python awhile ago :)
So could it be fair to say that there is little difference in keeping and handling a 1.5m jungle and a 2m Darwin?

I ruled out a scrub python awhile ago :)
So could it be fair to say that there is little difference in keeping and handling a 1.5m jungle and a 2m Darwin?

IMO there's not much difference. Plus if you're getting it as a youngster, your understanding and handling ability would grow with it so you wouldn't really even notice.

Any Morelia other than Sp. McDowelli and Kinghorni are perfectly fine for one person to manage without excessive housing requirements.
As for handling and tags, that is entirely dependent on the individual temperament of any snake, but as stated above get juvies and you'll be fine.

Thankyou everyone for your advice. I have had experience with keeping children's and found them to be fairly docile and able to differentiate between handling and feeding routines. But alas I had to sell them off as I did some work in remote NT in the summer and developed a new respect (fear) for reptile bites from handling wild monitors etc and living with cranky king browns in the backyard. I have found that being able to access the experience of keepers and breeders through this forum has been great for removing any anxieties and concerns about returning to the hobby and having the confidence to care for a larger python. Thanks again.

- - - Updated - - -

Thankyou everyone for your advice. I have had experience with keeping children's and found them to be fairly docile and able to differentiate between handling and feeding routines. But alas I had to sell them off as I did some work in remote NT in the summer and developed a new respect (fear) for reptile bites from handling wild monitors etc and living with cranky king browns in the backyard. I have found that being able to access the experience of keepers and breeders through this forum has been great for removing any anxieties and concerns about returning to the hobby and having the confidence to care for a larger python. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back