Turtle prolapsed penis - graphic picture

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mrdestiny

Reaction score
Last week I noticed my male Murray River turtle Doris (I know...a male turtle with a female name) sitting by the pond with what turned out to be a prolapsed penis. This is when the penis does not retract into the cloaca (eg after mating) and in fact turns "inside out". Lucky that Craig (expansa1) diagnosed this problem for me from the pictures and advised urgent attention from the vet. That afternoon David Vella anaesthatised Doris and performed delicate surgery on him, putting the penis back in and putting a stitch in the cloaca so it won't happen again.
Doris spent the next day dry docked and as the water and air temperature outside (in Sydney) is cold, Doris was then placed in a heated tank inside to recover, which he has done really well.
Hopefully this info and pictures will be useful information for fellow turtle keepers.
Allan
http://turtletownsydney.tripod.com/

Attachments

• DSCN5085.JPG
    DSCN5085.JPG
    186.5 KB · Views: 4,441
  • DSCN5083.JPG
    DSCN5083.JPG
    191 KB · Views: 1,182
Dude I didn't know turtle's where hung like that :| "Hung like a turtle"

I had a male childreni do the same thing, he is fine now.

Kane

I would like to make it clear that in no way shape or form am I comparing myself to a turtle, or a turtles genitalia.

Well he didn't seem to be having trouble keeping it up, just in!

By the way what was he thinking having nuptials at this time of year?

any pic's of the full enclusre/pond, looks good (from what i can see :D) the turtle things a lil weird though!

Are you sure thats not a hydrid???
Turtle crossed with a Horse!!! :lol:

Poor little ummm big guy!

No wonder he couldnt get it back in his cloaca!!
It'd be like tryin to get a lion into a cat carry box!!

I would like to make it clear that in no way shape or form am I comparing myself to a turtle, or a turtles genitalia.

Well of course not! There's no way your in his league.

:p

IsK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back