Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
really, according to the book i have its emydura krefftii.

Sorry Hornet but it's Outdated already!

You need to speak to the scientists that do the research on them to be kept up to date. The Qld EPA has already adopted Emydura macquarii krefftii as being a sub-species of E.m.macquarii.

By the time most books are published, taxonomists have already made advances with Dna mapping and distinguishing species that are related. At the same time, Worrell's turtle became a sub-species of Emydura subglobosa subglobosa (Painted turtles).

Actually Emydura macquarii krefftii is a sub-species of Emydura macquarii macquarii and would have no problem producing fertile offspring. Sydney short-necks are a cross between the two and have been mitochondrial Dna compared for proof by Georges and Thomson.

And some people say nothing gets done in Canberra! ;)

yes, even tho they would be hybrids i wouldnt be suprised if they produced fertile young but honestly, i recommend if eggs are laid just destroy them, if you do sell them whats stopping someone else just selling them as a pure species if they are fertile?

Agreed ;)

does that mean i have to chance the name in my book, i have my kreffts under emydura krefftii

Wow thats really interested Expansa1, about kefts being macquarri sub species, and the same with the worrels being sub species of the painteds. Would you destroy the eggs?

i think destroying the eggs is the way to go, then there is no chance that people can breed them and sell them as a pure species, also worrels have been a subspecies of painteds for a few years now, at least since 2004 but probably before then

For those interested, i know its a little off topic, i tracked down some painted turtles in melbourne

pim me for details, they are all over 10cm

so are sydney shortnecks a cross between kreffts and hunter river turts? i just dont like cross breeds, people will sell them as pure animals make it harder to get pure animals

if they are how can they call it a subspecies? shouldnt they be called intergrades? Some sydney basin turtles might be krefftsxmurray river, other might be krefftsxhunter river.

if they are how can they call it a subspecies? shouldnt they be called intergrades? Some sydney basin turtles might be krefftsxmurray river, other might be krefftsxhunter river.

Exactly, the Sydney Basin turtle is a hybrid of many different species that have. Eg a Murray/Hunter hybrid x with Kreffts/Hunter hybrid is a sydney basin turtle. But the Murray/Hunter and the Kreffts/Hunter are sydney basins themselves, so I've gathered from this thread.

Its already difficult enough to distinguish between the different species/subspecies of maquariii i rekon.....

so it basicly refers to the different hybrids found in that area?

you guys make me laugh, what is it with wanting to kill australian reptiles, i thought you kept reptiles because you loved them, do you know there is a law against killing reptiles,

how many of you people who tell others to kill there hybrids/cross breeds have owned a cross bred dog, cat, even a rat, mouse, rabbit,

what about the kid who owns a cross bred pony, are you going to tell me they should be killed, and no, i don't see how it's different to telling somebody to smash their turtle eggs, those australian turtles have as much right as any other animal to live,

now feel free to flame me, i can handle it and have my suit on and ready, but come on, how childish is it to tell somebody to kill their eggs/turtles,

these turtles breed in the wild, next we kill all the port mac carpets because they are an intergrade,

actually, its not illegal to destroy the eggs, according to the epa eggs are not classed as animals so its perfectly legal, its normally quite easy to tell if you have a pure poodle or if its crossed with a collie, not so easy to tell if you have a pure kreffts or a kreffts x hunter river turtle, port macs are not hybrids, they are intergrades, a cross between a kreffts and a hunter is a hybrid

I wish their was like a pedigree system for reptiles...

the way i see it, if you know that its a cross from the time the eggs are laid then do something about it and dont incubate them, insted just breed pure species

altho if you are planning on keeping the crosses then yea, incubate the eggs but if the get out into the public they will cause probs

hey hornet, you live in qld, i think you had better go back and read your qld rules, i breed snake and dragons and the day you take any eggs away from the parents to be incubated then they have to be recorded in your book as a reptile, so if they don't reconise eggs, how come a friend got fined for not having their eggs listed in the record book and added to their total reptiles, when i have any eggs layed i have to record them, even if they aren't fertile, then if any don't hatch you have to put them down as died,
but i will call the epa to find out the ruling on it, as i was told i would be fined if i didn't record all eggs that were layed, maybe your right,
and i am only talking about qld as i don't know other states rules,

and i thought craig has already stated here that they are the same species???????? then they can't be a hybrid, i may be mistaken,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back