Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The issue is a poor diet over the long term and the effects this has, not the random digestion of non food items that captive animals may encounter.

sorry wally...i thought my 1st sentence commented on the original post of the thread, then the second commented on a progression of the discussion of what animals will eat thinking it's good for them....will keep my thoughts to myself from now on . cheers mate

No, you are both right, and relevant points to the problems of keeping captive reptiles. I just wanted the conversation to remain on topic as crocdoc alluded to as I think it's important.

when i 1st bought my beardies along time ago i was told by the breeder that they will live happily off tinned cat food as long as it's not a fish variety. i myself have not fed my lizards any kind of commercial cat/dog food, esp not as a staple,the closest i have got was a mix of pet mince, calci powder and wombaroo, which i keep in the freeer for when i run out of crickets/woodies.

i have seen some instances of monitors only being fed on pet mince and kangaroo bones bought from a pet food shop and they seemed to be in good condition, i cannot say how long this was sustained for tho as i was fairly young at the time.

wow. so many people on this site take a lot of things way too seriously. This is Mat's opinion okay...i know the blue tongue that he's talking about and i know it isn't fed properly and they are trying to get rid of it as they don't really want it there and it's been there for ages.This is why i rarely even come onto this site. Post something and straight away people bag you out

I don't really understand why the O.P. was attacked. His concern was legitimate - It's quite possible those blue-tongues were getting dog food as a staple and it's widely known that cheap dog food isn't a particularly good diet, even for dogs. I can say with confidence that if someone showed images of their monitor being fed dog food on a monitor forum they'd get the verbal/typed equivalent of being tarred and feathered pretty quickly. I also do not subscribe to the 'lizard knows best' line of thought, because all of their instincts have been honed to food available naturally, not to the assortment of artificial diets concocted by humans. They will happily eat the wrong food until they die of obesity, metabolic bone disease or any one of a wide variety of ailments caused by a poor nutritional mix.

There was a classic example of this on this very forum, not so long ago. I spoke to the original owner of this lace monitor and asked him why he fed his monitor chicken breast, rather than a proper diet, and his response was: "but she LOVES it!".
Unfortunately, chicken breast didn't love her - check out the photos:
http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/general-reptile-discussion-42/lace-monitor-mbd-graphic-169275/
could not of said it better my self thanks ...

I wouldn't feed that sort of dog food to my dogs let alone my blue tongues. I'll say that yes my blue tongues do get soaked kibble as a very small portion of their diet but it's always just an extra rather than a staple and it's a super premium dog food as well which is the other major issue here. Persoanlly I'd rather not use it at all however one of my blueys comes from a background where she was only ever fed beef mince and it's been a slow process convincing her to eat other foods, tonight I was pleased to see her enjoying some fruit and veg so the dog food has been phased out alot now.

Next time feed your reptiles dog food read the fact that 99% of dry food even wet food doesn't even have meat in it. My gf dad runs a factory where they mate it and let's just say I wouldn't feed it to any animal I own ever.
This is the funnies threat in a while ! First you say blueies do not chase cows and chickens, then you say dog food does not contain any meat.
Keepers that have been successfully keeping and breeding tiliqua for many many years on dog food .

Wow, which brands do they make at that factory because a good dog food will have meat as the top ingredient, not just meat by products but actual meat.

Well depends what you call good dogfood, Hills Science dry dog food for example has cornmeal as the top ingredient followed by meat by-products then meat fat, with the exception of the lamb which has lamb meal first and the advanced activity which has chickken, in fact some have soybean meal before even meat by-products

Last edited:
My foods of choice are things like Royal Canin which are another step up again from Science Diet :)

My foods of choice are things like Royal Canin which are another step up again from Science Diet :)

Really, my food of choice are things like salad, fruits and veg. I do eat meat most night too. I love lamb, can't go past some nice slow cooked lamb. I do like to cook.

I do eat the occasional load of crappy junkfood but I try to avoid it mostly though sometimes I'm just too tired or lazy to bother cooking then cleaning up afterwards.

Oh, wait, sorry you were talking for pets........

I much more inclines to a nice roo steak personally but each to their own :p

I can't believe some of the uninformed comments in this threat (not including the OP of course, I think they get it)..

I can't believe some of the uninformed comments in this threat (not including the OP of course, I think they get it)..

well they certainly can't be my comments you're refering to, considering my comments are mostly rubbish :)

IMO humble as it is.
If the lizard likes it, even gets excited when it sees or smells it before it gets it, then the lizard knows best what it needs so give the lizard what it likes.

If that's cat or dog food from a can, so what.

If it likes little bits of peoples' food as a treat, let it have it have it as treat.
That is not good advice at all! I hope you don't do that with your "house lizard" otherwise I'm afraid Lizzy won't live very long. Please don't take this the wrong way, but don't give advice about stuff you don't know about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back