Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
But Tristan - some venoms are not poisonous depending on delivery method (providing you didn't have a cut in your mouth (or any internal cuts) you could swallow taipan venom without harm).... But, I think all poisons are poisonous regardless of delivery method...

I'm pretty sure ingestion, absorption, injection of most poisons will result in the same outcome...

Well, that was a nice little collection of examples of things which didn't make sense! :lol:

If venom wasn't poisonous, it couldn't hurt you, even if injected.

Plenty of poisons hurt you if injected but not if you drink them. Heck, a lot of the stuff we regularly eat and think of as normal food will be poisonous if we inject it.

Just about all poisons have varying effect depending on method of delivery. The four main methods are skin absorption, inhalation, injection and ingestion, but then there are ones which might be fine on your skin but destroy your eyes. You can drink kerosene if you want to, it won't hurt you, it just passes straight through, but if you inhale or inject it you're in trouble. You could spend all day listing poisons and their varying effects depending on type of exposure.

Some snake venoms don't need to be injected to hurt you. Some are even designed to be given to you through inhalation or skin/eye exposure. Actually, all of the ones which will mess you up if you inject them will really mess you up if you inhale them.

you are correct slim, sorry i should have been more specific in that i believe the chemical composition determines the type of toxin and that is then categorized into poison or venom and that the delivery method in a lesser sense plays a part in the classification but as you said the delivery method is not specific to the affects caused

Sadji makes a good point to, and i think its worth noting that toxins that most dangerous when injected will generaly be just as dangerous if inhaled or absorbed etc if the toxin is inhailed your lungs will transport it straight into your blood along wiht your oxcygen woooo and if absorbed it will again enter the blood stream via the capillaries, i think ultimatly we need to do something about our blood being the main problem :p well that and the lymphatic system

Last edited:
I know a bloke who had a brown strike at his foot. Luckily it hit the rubber strap on his thong. 2 or 3 hrs later off to hospital.

A speaker at our herp meeting says venom isn't poison. It is pure protein. Drink it, it won't hurt you.

Last edited:
I hate coming home from the shops after buying 'stuff' like I just got home with a tv arial cord, some blank dvd's, a memory stick.... and you end up with a huge bag of 'wasted' packaging. You need an angle grinder or jack hammer to get into the packaging, then it goes in the bin!

Dang, us humans are wastefull! Bring back the printed cardboard box I reckon..... sick of chucking out so much good quality plastic!

A speaker at our herp meeting says venom isn't poison. It is pure protein. Drink it, it won't hurt you.

Should make him drink some and prove it :rolleyes:

You can drink plenty of poisons without being harmed. It's only snake people with this bizarre myth that something isn't poisonous if you can ingest it without harm. Look up the meaning of poison, it has nothing to do with exclusive oral exposure.

Should make him drink some and prove it :rolleyes:

even though i would know that it's harmless i wouldn't be able to drink it. i would be too worried that i would have a stomach ulcer or something and all that worry would give me a stomach ulcer. resulting in one dead orangesnake :shock:

Ok so I googled it and it stated that the real difference is how the venom/poison is delivered. Venom is a dangerous substance that harms living organisms and is produced by an organism and is delivered by a "specialized apparatus", like fangs or a stinger, directly into the blood stream.

Poison produced by animals are produced in or on the poisonous organism and are only delivered through touch or eating but not through a specialized apparatus

Google is your friend. :D

Also kinda disappointed how the ford vs. Holden thing went :( was really expecting some fireworks on that one...

Last edited:
Yea, me too... especially sinse the V8's were racing too? Like the advertising says tho.... V8 supercars... the greatest SHOW on wheels.... show being the word. It is fords season to shine this year. All of the holdens winning (as usual) all the time, meant some ford fans would get disheartened. So holden gave ford a decent driver (davidson) and the fords got a new engine... so they can win for a while :rolleyes:

The V8's have lost the plot? They arent the car you and I can buy! They are a race chassis with ford or holden panels.... same chassis, same brakes same ecu, just look a little different and different engines.... both hobbled to 7500 rpm..... big deal.... luck is the major winning factor. They should be racing the factory commodore or falcon floorpan and structure (with cage and strengthening) and suspension geometry, so if holdens keep winning or fords keep winning you know it is the actual car (base) that you can buy off the showroom floor. As it is now, there is no difference in the cars at all, when nissan starts next year, it will be the same chassis and brakes too, just a nissan engine.

I also hate how the motogp and formula yawn... I mean one....AMA, brit superbikes.... all limited fuel? Racing with limited fuel?? Limited (one brand) tyres.... (that wear out quick... F1) What happened ro real racing? Make your motor rev til she blows? go as fast as you can.... racing should be on track! not in the strategy room or pit lane!

I reckon give the drivers/riders the best machinery, the best tyres, as much fuel as they need to race the race at 100%. Choice of tyres (company & compounds) What if the V8's want to use soft fronts and hard rears to go faster? No, not allowed.:rolleyes: Same for F1, not allowed. And carrying 170L of fuel in an F1 car coz 'refuelling is dangerous' :rolleyes: Let them have aero they want, blown diffusers, bigger moveable wings they can use where they want, anytime. Bring on the danger.... lets see them go as fast as mechanically possible!

Lets see some real racing

Fords ROCK!Fords ROCK!Fords ROCK!Fords ROCK!Fords ROCK!Fords ROCK!Fords ROCK!Fords ROCK!Fords ROCK!Fords ROCK!Fords ROCK!Fords ROCK!Fords ROCK!Fords ROCK!Fords ROCK!Fords ROCK!Fords ROCK!Fords ROCK!Fords ROCK!Fords ROCK!Fords ROCK!Fords ROCK!Fords ROCK!Fords ROCK!Fords ROCK! Fords ROCK!Fords ROCK!Fords ROCK!Fords ROCK!Fords ROCK!Fords ROCK!Fords ROCK! Fords ROCK!Fords ROCK! Fords ROCK!Fords ROCK!Fords ROCK!Fords ROCK!Fords ROCK!Fords ROCK! Fords ROCK!Fords ROCK!Fords ROCK! Fords ROCK!Fords ROCK!Fords ROCK!Fords ROCK!Fords ROCK!Fords ROCK!Fords ROCK!Fords ROCK!Fords ROCK!Fords ROCK!Fords ROCK!Fords ROCK!Fords ROCK!Fords ROCK!Fords ROCK!Fords ROCK!Fords ROCK!Fords ROCK!Fords ROCK!Fords ROCK! Fords ROCK!Fords ROCK!Fords ROCK!Fords ROCK! Fords ROCK!Fords ROCK!Fords ROCK!Fords ROCK!Fords ROCK!

oh and also Fords ROCK!

WOW what a mouthfull... but i tend to agree with your point! :lol:
:p

even though i would know that it's harmless i wouldn't be able to drink it. i would be too worried that i would have a stomach ulcer or something and all that worry would give me a stomach ulcer. resulting in one dead orangesnake :shock:

Ok so I googled it and it stated that the real difference is how the venom/poison is delivered. Venom is a dangerous substance that harms living organisms and is produced by an organism and is delivered by a "specialized apparatus", like fangs or a stinger, directly into the blood stream.

Poison produced by animals are produced in or on the poisonous organism and are only delivered through touch or eating but not through a specialized apparatus

Google is your friend. :D

Ya like i said a page ago

i see it as, Poisons and venom's are both toxins. toxins are made of chemicals. the chemical composition determines the type of toxin and thus determines the delivery system needed be it injection (venom's) or ingestion\absorption (poisons)

;) ahaha thanks

What do you think about people who put phot's of themselves in their Avatar. It's been my experience that these people are etheir weird, self obsessed or seeking attention. What is your opinion? Freaks or not freaks?

What do you think about people who put phot's of themselves in their Avatar. It's been my experience that these people are etheir weird, self obsessed or seeking attention. What is your opinion? Freaks or not freaks?
I feel they may have oodles of self confidence and be proud of what they look like :) Orrrr perhaps they want to give more of a personal touch to their profile etc thats why I did it when I first joined. Then I figured I would just have it on my profile page so people could see who they were typing to lol I dont see anything negative about it :)

You wouldn't see anything wrong with it if your are doing it CM. Ive also noticed the more serious herp people who are worth taking advise from don't use photo's of themselves....

You wouldn't see anything wrong with it if your are doing it CM. Ive also noticed the more serious herp people who are worth taking advise from don't use photo's of themselves....
Ohhh I forgot to mention that I am not totally weird, or self absorbed or attention seeking :lol: I dunno I took it as a gesture of goodwill to be honest, nowwww to be completely paranoid what if these self photos arent them????? what if they are just random people's lol

But they are all so ugly if they were going to use a fake they would use someone good looking ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back