What to feed baby bearded dragon

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

leanne

Reaction score
Just got 3 babies, and want to know what is best to feef them? they are currently eating crickets, peas, carrots, and corn.

my mate feeds his sweet potato plus other vegies and crickets

Variation as with all species diets is best. endive, bok choy, dandelion flowers are great staple diets mixed with crickets and woodies with appropriate vitamin and calcium supplement, Other fruit and vegetables for variation are recommended. As juveniles vegetable matter will not be taken as readily as insects, vegetable proportions will increase with age. I will try and find an old link to bearded dragon nutrition to PM you, not sure if I still have it. **carrot has been know to cause blockages in digestive tract due to it not getting digested, I have used it before well grated but only in moderation without issues but tend to stay away from it atm**

Variation as with all species diets is best. endive, bok choy, dandelion flowers are great staple diets mixed with crickets and woodies with appropriate vitamin and calcium supplement, Other fruit and vegetables for variation are recommended. As juveniles vegetable matter will not be taken as readily as insects, vegetable proportions will increase with age. I will try and find an old link to bearded dragon nutrition to PM you, not sure if I still have it. **carrot has been know to cause blockages in digestive tract due to it not getting digested, I have used it before well grated but only in moderation without issues but tend to stay away from it atm**
true mate i never new about the carrot part thanks for that.

Hi Leanne another good thing I use is the vitamin and mineral spray from aust science product cpv brought it out and it works really on baby beardies to keep there V & M up another good thing is u can spray it on there food and them as well but mine seem to love it and I use it often cause mine aren't eating alot of veggies ATM. Hope that helps :)

Just got 3 babies, and want to know what is best to feef them? they are currently eating crickets, peas, carrots, and corn.

Hey Leanne! :)

Firstly, congrats on your new additions...

Secondly, peas, carrots and corn are NOT recommended for young dragons...

Bok Choy, Endive, Watercress, Parsley, Parsnip, Sweet Potato, Butternut Pumpkin, Yellow Squash and Red Capsicum, finely chopped (and grated!), together with Calcium-dusted small crickets, will contribute to a happy, healthy dragon...

Flick me a PM with your email address, and I'll send you my Care Sheet etc if you like!

Hope this helps!

Best,
Carolyn

**carrot has been know to cause blockages in digestive tract due to it not getting digested, I have used it before well grated but only in moderation without issues but tend to stay away from it atm**

Hi Dan! :)

Carrot isn't actually a "cause" for intestinal blockages/impactions - excessive amounts can lead to Vitamin A Toxicity. A small amount of grated carrot once a month, as a treat, is fine.

Hope this helps!

Best,
Carolyn

thinly sliced apple, rockmelon, strawberries(peeled with no seeds)
dandilion and hibiscus flowers, rocket, basil, baby spinach, mine were eating peas off my dinner plate tonight

251720_10150212511128785_610478784_7189070_38193_n.jpg

Umm, Damian, while that looks really cute, Baby Spinach is really a no-no for dragons - VERY high in goitrogens and oxalates, which binds calcium - meaning it makes any calcium they ingest with that meal totally worthless....

Rocket is also high in both goitrogens and oxalates (not quite as high as the Spinach family, but too high nonetheless)...

Basil (assuming it was fresh) has a VERY high Vitamin A content (39IU/g) and should only be offered occasionally as a treat. Apple is also an "occasional"...

Rockmelon is the same as Basil, even has the same Vitamin A content - an occasional treat...

Strawberries... Why would you peel them? Fresh strawberries are a nice occasional treat also, as they contain "moderate" oxalates...

Dandelion greens are a FANTASTIC staple green as they are high in calcium (Ca:ph - 2.8:1), but they also have a high Vitamin A content and have moderate oxalates... Hibiscus flowers are a great treat and excellent source of vitamins, but should only be offered occasionally...

Peas are a no-no - "feed rarely"...

Best,
Carolyn

Could you feed your beardys home caught roaches.... If you know they havnt been sprayed.

Hey Pratty!

Yes, you "could" feed them "home caught roaches", but... Even if they haven't been sprayed, are you CERTAIN they don't have any diseases? The cockroaches often found in homes are a completely different species than the Australian Wood Cockroaches we feed our dragons... Personally, I wouldn't risk it, but that's just me!

Hope this helps!

Best,
Carolyn

the peas were a very rare treat only one eats them,the flowers are a once a week treat , rocket i heard was great, mine dont eat spinach but was told its good, actually the dont eat bokchoy either they get more fruit and live food , youngens i read not to have seeds on strawberries, but thanks for that info, coz there are some contradicting food lists for them out there, on the big wide web of mess,

the peas were a very rare treat only one eats them,the flowers are a once a week treat , rocket i heard was great, mine dont eat spinach but was told its good, actually the dont eat bokchoy either they get more fruit and live food , youngens i read not to have seeds on strawberries, but thanks for that info, coz there are some contradicting food lists for them out there, on the big wide web of mess,

Hehehe, too true mate! And no worries at all, happy to help! PM me with your email addy if you like, and I'll forward you the "list"!

Best,
Carolyn

i found mine didnt eat a lot of what she should eat but i kept offering it to her fresh everyday and she has started to eat these things, so keep offering your little ones things they dont seem to want to eat and as they grow they will start eating them

is good quality cat food a no no, i know people that give it once a week

is good quality cat food a no no, i know people that give it once a week

Well, yes and no... Yes in that the protein content is high, but no in that the fat content is also high... Besides, dragons aren't MEANT to purr! ;) :lol:

What about earthworms? I read they are high in calcium and being soft have little risk of inpacting on the gut.

Hey Mad4400! :)

Earthworm: Ca : Ph unclassified; Protein 10.0%; Fat 2.0%; Fibre unclassified; Water 84%. Do not buy worms raised for bait. Feed occasionally - as a treat basically.

That help?

Best,
Carolyn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back